SOLVED

Re: How long should the test duration for an a/b test be?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long should the test duration for an a/b test be?

I have a email going out tomo to 20K ppl with an a/b test on the subject line.

I really don't want to wait too long to send out the winner bc I want it to go out tomorrow, not another day (it's related to a launch).

How long does Marketo wait before it declares an email has not been opened? I suppose that 1 hour might not be enough?

Thus, is 1 hour enough to reach the sample size of 10%? 

Thanks!

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

It might have changed, but I believe the minimum time for the automatic winner email program sends was 4 hours at one point. If all of your recipients are in the US then Kim's suggestion of waiting about 6 hours should be good. Otherwise, you're not necessarily going to have a very representative sample of opens, and your final send might not go at a very desirable time which could impact the overall outcome. At that point, I'd probably wait 24 hours. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I doubt 1 hour is enough. A good test would be 24-48 hours. I think marketo just waits the allotted time to declare a winner when you set it automatically. Whoever opens, opens.
Kim_Allen
Level 10

I agree with Josh, 1 hour isn't enough time. However, I know I get a lot of pushback from the team if I don't have the sends all in one day. So I usually have the test send early in the morning and give it a good 6 hours or so before the automatic winner is sent.
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

It might have changed, but I believe the minimum time for the automatic winner email program sends was 4 hours at one point. If all of your recipients are in the US then Kim's suggestion of waiting about 6 hours should be good. Otherwise, you're not necessarily going to have a very representative sample of opens, and your final send might not go at a very desirable time which could impact the overall outcome. At that point, I'd probably wait 24 hours. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone, helpful stuff!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, so there is no possible way to declare a winner after 30 minutes?

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Not if you're doing it through an email program. You can set it up manually and do it after 30 minutes, but I would advise against it. Just as food for thought, on Friday, 4 hours after an email send I saw a ~20% open rate (11am ET send). As of this morning it was 39%. Obviously this could have had some regionality associated with it, but 30 minutes won't always be very indicative of actual results.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with Dory - 30 minutes is definitely not enough.  My team usually likes the same day as well and our data shows our list opens our emails within a few hours. So I set our tests to run 4-6 hours.  Dory is also correct, Marketo doesn't let the test run for less than 4 hours.