Re: How long does it take for leads to delete out of Marketo?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How long does it take for leads to delete out of Marketo?

Hello,

I'm in the process of cleansing my lead database. I want to delete about 1,000 leads from a smart list. I am good with removing the leads permanently out of Marketo. I went thru the process of deleting the leads. I received the message saying the leads were removed, yet when I check the smart list the same leads are still in my database.

This is the second time I've done this with the list. Am I doing something wrong or is there a waiting period for the leads to be permanently deleted?

Thanks

Kara

7 REPLIES 7
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Kara Deveney,

We have to little information to have an accurate diagnosis, so I'll write a couple of points I am thinking of :

1. When you are on a list, "remove from list" just removes them form the list, while "delete leads" will completely erase them from the database.
  2. When you delete a list of leads from Marketo, you also need to delete them from the CRM, otherwise they will come back. Look at one of the leads you think you had deleted. Does it have a creation date more recent than the deletion date? To handle this, when you delete the leads, make sure that you set the "remove from SFDC" filed to true.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response.

I just saw this error.

exceptionMessage:

failed to delete SFDC Contact ID 003A0000009WE9jIAG (xxx xxxxxx): INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS_OR_READONLY: insufficient access rights on object id

Do you know where I can fix this?

Grant_Booth
Level 10

I second Gregoire,

Based on your description, it sounds like you're just removing the leads from a list rather than deleting them from the database. Lists don't actually "contain" leads - leads are just "associated" with lists. You could delete the list asset itself and the leads would still be in your database. To delete the leads, view them in a list and click Select All, then .Lead Actions > Special > Delete Lead.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Grant,

Thx

The "delete button" is available straight on the top of the screen in lists and smart lists, no need to go through the menu

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response.

I just saw this error.

exceptionMessage:

failed to delete SFDC Contact ID 003A0000009WE9jIAG (xxx xxxxxx): INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS_OR_READONLY: insufficient access rights on object id

Do you know where I can fix this?

Lauren_Beth
Level 6

Hi Kat - looks like you do not have permission/rights to alter the contact in Salesforce. Contact your admin to ask how these rules can be adjusted to accommodate what you need.  If they are a contact in Salesforce, the sync means the deleted lead will come right back to Marketo unless you have specific rules set up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.