Re: How fast IS Real-Time Personalization (RTP)

Erica_Dipyatic
Level 3

How fast IS Real-Time Personalization (RTP)

How fast can content be personalized for users on our site if we're using the Real-Time Personaliztion product (RTP)?

The definition for a Segment, per the ?/help icon in the Segments screen: A collection of web visitors that meet the user defined criteria Learn more

Under the individual segments that are created, when Matches > 0 you can view the "visitors" that qualify for the segment --> (matched visitors).  There's a note on the Visitors page that reads, "Note: Visitor data updated within 24-48 hours"

Does this mean that it can take up to 48hours for a visitor to our website to appear in a Segment for RTP? Thus, up to 48hours for a RTP campaign to be shown to that visitor.

Example:

1. A user visits our website and creates a profile.
  2. Said profile data is immediately available in our Marketo database.
  3. That user may not immediately appear in a Segment, as a visitor, that they qualify for, for up to 48hours? They may appear in that segment immediately, 5 min, 9 hours....up to 48 hours???
  4. THUS - If we have a RTP web campaign running on our homepage, the user would not see the campaign content immediately upon visiting our home page after completing their profile.  They would only see the campaign content once they are added as a visitor to the segment (again, anywhere within a 48hour timeframe)

Aslihan Ayan

7 REPLIES 7
David_Myers
Level 4

Hi Erica,

The reference to "Note: Visitor data updated within 24-48 hours" refers only to the amount of time it may take for the data to be displayed in reporting in the Web Personalization application.

The segment matching and web campaign displays are performed in real-time (milliseconds). If you are a web visitor on the site and match a segment and a web campaign is associated to the segment, then you will see the web campaign immediately on the website.

The drill-down by the Marketo user in the platform to view the segment matches, in the case when there are a high number of matches may take time to process and show the Visitor page in the platform, but the whole idea and concept of our Web Personalization platform and our real-time processor is matching the web visitor based on the segment criteria you created and show him personalized campaign in real-time.

Hank_Hansen
Level 5

By your comment "reporting in the Web Personalization application" - does this mean the list of Segments and their matches within the RTP control panel can take 24-48 hours to update? (although campaigns will fire immediately)

If I am testing a web page match segment, for example, and I visit the specified web page to test, I may not see my test page visit appear as a match for 24-48 hours - is that correct?

David_Myers
Level 4

Hank,

For testing, you should in most cases see the segment match immediately and then the campaign impression. the timing we specify is when there is very large web visitor data to process and show in the visitors page which sometimes takes a bit of time to display in the interface. It does not affect in any way, the real-time processor of matching a visitor and showing them the Web Campaign, it's just a delay in the reporting shown to the marketer in extreme, high volume cases.

Charlie_Marketo
Level 2

Hi David,

I am a little late to this party, but I just wanted to confirm that "you should in most cases see the segment match immediately" is still the case as I am currently working on a proof of concept where we are using an RTP form to gate content for Anonymous visitors.

I have a segment setup using Known Profiles > Status > Anonymous, which is correctly only displaying the campaign to Anonymous visitors, however the Campaign contains a Form Fill (which I am seeing tracked immediately) and yet on completion of this, I am still seeing the Campaign launched and using rtp('get','visitor',function(e){console.log(e.results)}), I am still seing the Anonymous segment in the array of Matched Segments.

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Yes, this is still an issue! Segment matching works flawlessly in most cases, but there are still some odd cases where-in the segment update takes time even when there weren't any high-volume segment updates that could potentially be held accountable for the delays as we were testing this internally and there was just one web-segment set up in the instance.

Charlie_Marketo
Level 2

Thanks for getting back to me Darshil.  Do you know if this is something that can be fixed with a Marketo Support call as the delay is hours which makes a bit of a joke of the "Real Time" part of RTP?

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

I'd bring this to Marketo's notice by raising an SR. Even if they aren't able to fix it at an immediate moment for you, but still, this can serve as a good example of an outlier case that the engineering team could look at, get the RCA done, and hopefully fix it at the product level for all.