How does Marketo track lead data when the source is Google organic search.

Nina_Gonzalez1
Level 3

How does Marketo track lead data when the source is Google organic search.

How does Marketo capture and store lead data when the source is from an organic Google search? We want to capture source = Google Organic search

3 REPLIES 3
Keith_Nyberg2
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Re: How does Marketo track lead data when the source is Google organic search.

Hey Nina,

There are 3 fields that are captured on lead creation that provide some insight into this and they are Original Search Engine, Original Search Phrase, Original Referrer.

I actually posted a question similar to this but interested in how people were managing the larger topic of differentiating organic leads into Direct Organic Search, Referral, but so far no one has responded to the thread.

(Here for reference: Differentiating Organic Traffic ) If i don't get any responses soon, I'll just go with my gut and follow-up with learnings on my thread for others to use as reference. You'd think more people would have this down, but based on zero response from the community it doesn't appear anyone is doing this effectively (or maybe the outcome doesn't provide as much value so it's not pursued)

I would recommending auditing a subset of records that you know were created recently via form fill and are organic (no UTM values captured) this will give you insight into the data that the fields I mentioned are capturing and from there, you can define smart campaigns that look for values like original search engine 'contains' google and execute your desired flows.

I know this response isn't super helpful, but should point you in the right direction and based on looking at the data I mentioned, you can decide if pursuing this is worth your while.

Sincerely,

Keith Nyberg

Daniel_Cato
Level 1

Hi @Kim_Keith is this field still relevant? I have heard that Google does not pass this info anymore.

Diederik_Marte4
Level 6

Hi Nina,

I Always create a lead source assignment program with a lot of (custom) workflows. You could have a trigger that fires on ANY page visit, where constraint referrer contains google, but constraint query parameter does not contain gclid (and some of the other advertising tags). You could then set the field Lead Source (if empty) to "Google Organic".

Good luck!

Diederik

6x Marketo Champion | Marketo Certified Solutions Architect (MCSA) | Marketo User Group Leader | International Speaker on Marketing Technology