How does Marketo retrieve cookie values?

Lauren_Smith7
Level 2

How does Marketo retrieve cookie values?

Hello,

Our salesforce developer is having difficulties passing cookie values on a salesforce form. We currently have this capability on all of our Marketo forms. I know how to set up our Marketo forms to collect this information. However, I am not technical enough to explain how Marketo retrieves this information so we can replicate in SFDC. Any help would be much appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: How does Marketo retrieve cookie values?

Marketo does absolutely nothing special in this regard (it cannot do anything special, the browser sets all the rules for reading cookies).

Use a cookie libray (JAAulde's cookies.js is perfection). Get the current values. Set form input values accordingly.  What else could this person be trying?

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

munchkin js needs to be on the webpage. write your own js or use a js library to get the value from the cookie "_mkto_trk"

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Q doesn't seem to have anything specific to Munchkin, if it's about passing cookie values as stated. ("I know how to set up our Marketo forms" indicates that it isn't about the Munchkin cookie, 'cause that doesn't take any setup at all!)

I sense that's an SFDC developer who has never worked on a general browser front end at all.  Even some very senior SFDC people are like this, they live only within the SFDC ecosystem.

Lauren_Smith7
Level 2

Hi Sanford,

I think you cookie library was helpful for our SFDC developer. 

Appreciate your response.