Re: How does Marketo handle the same email for multiple contacts

Anonymous
Not applicable

How does Marketo handle the same email for multiple contacts

I am wondering what Marketo does when one imports a list of individuals where there are multiple individuals using the same email address. Does Marketo block all imports that have the same email address, let the first contact with the email address in and block the rest, or lets all the contacts in and lets them all keep the same email?

4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

It will attempt to merge the people into one record.

Do not do this!!

Some options include creating "fake" emails if you really need unique records. Typically your scenario is when partner records come in and they won't give you the full list.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I unfortunately already imported the list. The list was pulled from NetSuite and assumed Marketo should be able to recognize their individual IDs. I do fear that the contacts were merged because my list was originally 6000+ but Marketo is only showing around 4500. My question now would be if there is a way to undo this?

I am unfortunately taking over for our experienced Marketo guy who is on paternity leave and am just trying my best here to keep things afloat.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

That's unfortunate.

Thoughts on the approach:

• find records Added to Static List
  • find records with a Name change where your list tried to overwrite values. Could be other fields to use. Was Data Value Changed...

You may need to get CRM Admin to help. You may want to ask Support if you don't have the right tools to back out the change.

Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

We don't have anything to revert changes either.  Best suggestion I know of is use bulk export to get a list of the Change Data Values for the affected fields as the returned spreadsheet would have both the Old Value and New Value.  It would just take parsing out the old value and importing it back in.