How do you all separate "partner" marketing from "sell-to" marketing?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

How do you all separate "partner" marketing from "sell-to" marketing?

An interesting discussion took place this past week between our partner marketing team and our field marketing team.  Our partner marketing team would love to use Marketo for their partner marketing activities.  This would not only push us over our lead threshold limit, but also clutter our lead lifecycle data with non-sales-related actvitiy.  I imagine another revenue model would be required.  I would love to here how some of you have dealt with this in a single instance of Marketo.

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Josh_Hill13

Re: How do you all separate "partner" marketing from "sell-to" marketing?

Yes, build a Partner Lifecycle RCM. You will have to figure out how to mark Partner leads as such and then block them from the other lifecycle.

If you are using Country WS, then you'll need a lifecycle for each one most likely. You should not need to separate out Partner records other than to use Record Type or a checkbox.
Dan_Stevens_

Thanks Josh - that's what I thought.

Dan_Stevens_

I'm revisiting this again and hoping other members of the community - who may have deployed a similar model - can offer their insights.  A typical scenario might look like this:

• we're at a partner event and throughout the event, we're gathering all sorts of leads.  But those leads aren't of the traditional sense - instead, it's the partner contact coming up to us and telling us he/she is working several opportunities where they think it would be a great fit for us to jointly work the account. 
  • The team comes back from the event with a bunch of "partner leads" - meaning, all of the partner names who want to jointly sell to a variety of accounts.
  • The team wants to get these partner names captured into Marketo.  Normally, we would import regular leads into our existing Events program as "attended" or "promoted: MQL".  Obviously we don't want these partner leads progressing through our revenue model and syncing to CRM.

Aside from creating some custom fields so that we can ensure that these partner leads stay out of our funnel, what other best practices can be shared that would ensure this additional channel can co-exist within a single Marketo instance?