How do I use Custom Fields as filters in smart lists.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I use Custom Fields as filters in smart lists.

Specificly in our case we have multiple programs that all send out the same email message with a custom field containing a link to a resource.  {{lead.DestinationUrl}}.  This renders fine in email messages and show up in the users log as a Click Email with the proper URL in the detail.  The problem is when we add a trigger to our smart list to run when the Link kis or contains {{lead.DestinationUrl}} it never fires.  (It's like its not processing the token.)

Technicaly I could put the real URL in the smart list but there are around a hunded of these campaigns and the linked items/url's change from time to time so we don't want to have to change them in multiple places. (For example if a file is suppercedded by a newer version.)

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do I use Custom Fields as filters in smart lists.

Interesting problem, I don't beleive Marketo will have a way of doing this simply.

Is there anything that these URLs have in common that you can do a 'contains' from? Or could you possibly append somethign to the URL/s and trigger off of that?

Alternatively, do "clicks link in email" and "is not" the other links in that email - this is probably simplest.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jeremy,

Can you write out your smart campaign's triggers, filters, and flow steps in a comment? I think I can help you, but I don't quite understand what you're trying to do. I'm guessing you can use "my.tokens" combined with a data management campaign, but I need to get the details to give you a solution.

Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, here is exactly what we have going on.

We have many gated resources on our site.  We have a program with three campaigns in it.  First triggeres when the page is viewed and works.  Second is triggered by the form via API and works.

The final step is triggered when the click a download link in the email.  This is what I am having a problem with.

Further detail:  
Each gated page is a clone of the program for reporting pourpases they all report to seperate programs.
All of the fill out forms send one generic email message(instead of a seperate copy of the email in each program) for easier update/managment of the emails.
The email message prints out http://{{lead.DestinationUrl}} witch is a link to the resource they signed up for. (DestinationUrl is set via the API and the email portion works fine).

When a user clicks a link it will show up in their Activity log with the proper url.

So basicaly what isn't working is getting the Click's Link in Email to trigger fo rthe proper program (as they all use the same email.  There is a url field that can be filtered on, but I guess I can't filter pased on the value of a cusstom variable.

The smart List for step 3(Views Content) looks like this:
Trigger: Clicks link in email
Email is Gated Resouce Email
Link Contains {{lead.DestinationUrl}}

It will work if I replace the variable with the acctualy resource URL but I am trying to avoid doing that for every campaign when it is technicaly already there in the campaign.  I have lso tried using a program Token instead of a variable as well, but that hasn't providede any better results.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jeremy,

If your email for asset 1 and asset 2 are identical, you need some other identifier, like the link, to trigger only one of the "3 Views Content" smart campaigns. Inserting a token like you did will not distinguish the 2. So even if "link contains destinationurl" worked, both campaigns would trigger because, in both cases, the lead clicked the "destination url." You need to make part of the destination url unique and constant, and set up your trigger to look for that unique text string. Could be the actual url, or querystring parameters appended to the end.

Every "3 Views Content" campaign must differ in its configuration in order to distinguish one piece of content from another. I don't see a way to accomplish what you describe.

Sorry!

Edward_Masson
Level 10

The 'Clicks Link in an Email' trigger with ‘Link’ constraint will only show what is physically in that email (Gated Resource Email). This also does not work if you have links in a 'MyToken' placed on that email. This trigger can only work if the URL exists.

This is why Marketo needs to update 'Clicks Link in an Email' trigger to work with MyToken. This old article is still relevant today, links need to be clicked on in the context for it to appear in auto-suggest filters/triggers drop down:
http://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000Kyu3CAC 

Lets take another route.
Because your sending this information through your API, then you have information being collected on records that they’re data of 'DestinationUrl' is changing from  ‘NULL’ to ‘Link x’ then you can use the trigger 'Data Value Change'.

Use ‘member of smart campaign’ filter to narrow your audience or Program (what ever you need here first). Add the trigger 'Data Value Change' and find your field 'DestinationUrl' and select the constraint 'Reason' and type in 'SOAP API' (the reason values will not pre-populate).

This will trigger as your API is passing a new value or updating to 'DestinationUrl' field every time.
See if that works for you.
Regards
Ed.