Re: How do I setup a texting phone number as a clickable HYPER LINK SMS?

DeAnna_Humphrey
Level 2

How do I setup a texting phone number as a clickable HYPER LINK SMS?

How do I set up a texting phone number as a clickable HYPER LINK SMS? So when someone clicks the phone number it takes them to texting and not calling.  I have tried the suggested following and none of these are working: Example:  But wait we have more gifts!  Text ({{lead.Gift Card Redeem Code:default=edit me}} to 1-314-310-2866  - I highlight the 1-314-310-2866 click the insert edit/link button in the URL: I have tried - sms: 1-314-310-2866, sms: 13143102866, sms: +13143102866 and, sms:// +13143102866. As I stated none of these when I test the email is allowing me to click it and re-direct to texting.  Please advise.  Here is my sample email: Login | Marketo

7 REPLIES 7
Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

DeAnna,

Try "sms:3143102866" or if there is a country code just add the "+" between the "sms:" and the number.

DeAnna_Humphrey
Level 2

We keep getting an error code 404 Not Found - The redirect URL is empty

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You must turn off tracking for these links, for the same reason that you must turn off tracking for mailto: links. See: Stop tracking mailto: links (if you want them to work)

DeAnna_Humphrey
Level 2

Sanford,

I did what you suggested and turned off tracking.  However, I am still running into the issue where the sms link is not re-directing to messaging.  Do you have any other suggestions? 

Thank you,

DeAnna

SanfordWhiteman

What is it doing now?  Turning off tracking will stop it from attempting to bounce off your branding domain (which was generating the "redirect URL is empty").

DeAnna_Humphrey
Level 2

Sanford,

We did a test of 23 in-house staff and it appears that it is not working on all devices and/or service providers.  Just mine is an example my Iphone allows me to click the text phone number when the email comes through my GMail but if I go to my Yahoo mail it doesn't work. My boss uses apple mail and it did not work for him either.

Thank you for your help

SanfordWhiteman

Do you mean the Yahoo Android app vs. Gmail app? May need a deeplink on the former, perhaps, or the app forcibly disables the feature. Not sure offhand how well this URI scheme is supported: per posts like this, iOS requires proprietary (i.e. broken) syntax, and when you put apps into the mix you've got a lot more to test.