SOLVED

Re: How do I set the form submissions to update the correct record based on PURL?

Go to solution
Kaye_McClendon
Level 3

How do I set the form submissions to update the correct record based on PURL?

I have a PURL site: https://discover.uindy.edu/junior/KayeMcclendon

Whenever I submit the form (right side of page), it updates a different record: https://discover.uindy.edu/junior/X2YGTU-1

I do not collect the email address on the form or have any other parameters in the URL. I'm using an embedded form and I dynamically insert it using a token. 

I did clear my cache this morning, which might have caused the problem. What do I do to force the form to update only the record based on the Marketo Unique Name "KayeMcclendon"? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: How do I set the form submissions to update the correct record based on PURL?

You can't use that method with a form embed (actually, it doesn't even work reliably with a named form, though you can get results that make you think it does!).

You have to export the tokens like this:

<!-- export lead tokens into HTML context because they're HTML-encoded -->
<datalist class="exported-tokens">
  <option data-mktoform-field="Email">{{lead.Email Address}}</option>
  <option data-mktoform-field="Company">{{company.Company Name}}</option>
  <option data-mktoform-field="FirstName">{{lead.First Name}}</option>
  <!-- ... add additional tokens following same pattern... -->
</datalist>
<!-- /export lead tokens -->

<!-- bind exports to form fields -->
<script>  
  MktoForms2.whenReady(function(mktoForm){
    const arrayify = getSelection.call.bind([].slice);

const exportedTokens = arrayify(document.querySelectorAll(".exported-tokens option"));

const mktoFieldsObj = exportedTokens.reduce(function(acc,nextToken){
            acc[nextToken.getAttribute("data-mktoform-field")] = nextToken.value;
            return acc;
          },{});

mktoForm.setValuesCoerced(mktoFieldsObj);
  });
</script>
<!-- /bind exports -->

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SanfordWhiteman

When you submit the form without an explicit Email Address field, and the Munchkin session is already associated, it keeps the previous association. Otherwise, you end up creating an address-less lead (not the same as an anonymous lead, btw).

AFAIK, this standard form behavior is irrespective of the use of pURLs, which have their own maddening quirks.

Solving this is easy. You need to add the Email Address as a Hidden field on the form.

Kaye_McClendon
Level 3

Hi Sanford, 

I added the Email Address field as a hidden field on the form using the default value "{{lead.Email Address}}" yesterday. It still created a new record with the literal string "{{lead.Email Address}}" in the email field. Below is a screenshot of the new record in the database. Am I setting the token wrong? I am using an embedded form, by the way. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 7.46.07 AM.png

SanfordWhiteman

You can't use that method with a form embed (actually, it doesn't even work reliably with a named form, though you can get results that make you think it does!).

You have to export the tokens like this:

<!-- export lead tokens into HTML context because they're HTML-encoded -->
<datalist class="exported-tokens">
  <option data-mktoform-field="Email">{{lead.Email Address}}</option>
  <option data-mktoform-field="Company">{{company.Company Name}}</option>
  <option data-mktoform-field="FirstName">{{lead.First Name}}</option>
  <!-- ... add additional tokens following same pattern... -->
</datalist>
<!-- /export lead tokens -->

<!-- bind exports to form fields -->
<script>  
  MktoForms2.whenReady(function(mktoForm){
    const arrayify = getSelection.call.bind([].slice);

const exportedTokens = arrayify(document.querySelectorAll(".exported-tokens option"));

const mktoFieldsObj = exportedTokens.reduce(function(acc,nextToken){
            acc[nextToken.getAttribute("data-mktoform-field")] = nextToken.value;
            return acc;
          },{});

mktoForm.setValuesCoerced(mktoFieldsObj);
  });
</script>
<!-- /bind exports -->

Kaye_McClendon
Level 3

Thank you for the script. I've pasted it near the bottom of my guided template. See screenshot. Can I still need to keep lines 1204-1215 above it? That part was included in Marketo's starter guided template that I used as a starting point for my custom template.

SanfordWhiteman

Don't see the screenshot?

Kaye_McClendon
Level 3

Oops! Sorry, here it is. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 4.13.48 PM.png

SanfordWhiteman

Your lines 1204-1215 lines above are doing something else, they're not redundant (though most certainly it would be better to use FormsPlus-tag for the same purpose).

Kaye_McClendon
Level 3

Okay, I will just leave the rest of the code alone so I don't break anything. 

Thank you so much for your help on this. You saved the day again!