Re: How do I prevent duplicate record creation in Salesforce when importing csv file list into Marketo?

Chris_Chariton
Level 2

How do I prevent duplicate record creation in Salesforce when importing csv file list into Marketo?

I imported a csv file into marketo which contains an email address and company name of an existing lead record in Salesforce with a slightly different contact name (Same last name but Chris vs Christine.  Another lead record was created in salesforce which is really a duplicate record.  I don't want duplicate records created in salesforce.  Is there a way to block the syncing of information that is imported from a list into Marketo with salesforce?

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Alex_Stanton1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Re: How do I prevent duplicate record creation in Salesforce when importing csv file list into Marketo?

Hi Chris,

If the email address was the same, it should not create a duplicate. Are you syncing to an SFDC queue? If so, that is how the duplicates are being created.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Just to be clear here:

Marketo dedupes by Email Address when a lead is entered directly into Marketo. As Alex said, if you sync an existing SFDC COntact to an SFDC Lead Queue, it does create a dupe.

But it is possible that you had a new email address for the lead and that is why it was duped.

Chris_Chariton
Level 2

Thank you for the help.  It was not a new email address for the lead. I will check on if syncing to lead queue. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are all records in Marketo and SFDC synced? I ask because you mention a duplicate was created in SFDC, but I'm not sure whether the duplicate was also created in Marketo. If the original record in SFDC was not synced to Marketo, that's one reason why a duplicate would have been created.

JK

Chris_Chariton
Level 2

Thanks for your response. Record was created first in Salesforce and synced to marketo, then uploaded a csv file with different first name, same email address to Marketo. Marketo did not create a duplicate. It merged the info and updated the first name field with the latest information. In salesforce a duplicate record was then created.

Chris Chariton

Alex_Stanton1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Chris, this is a bit hard without being able to see, but if Marketo merged the records, it is highly unlikely it created a duplicate at the SFDC end. I suggest you look at the SFDC ID of the duplicate records as well as the Marketo Activity detail for the record that was merged (the column of the right, when you look at the activity log). Are the SFDC IDs matching?

Anonymous
Not applicable

For duplication, I think you can try TIBCO Clarity. It is a really perfect tool for your case.

"You can customize your match strategies by columns or by swappable columns or by columns against to a thesaurus table, and then use them to discover duplicate records from any incomplete or partially similar records, even from records in different languages."

So it easy find your duplications records with a slightly different contact name.

In addition, It has deep integration with both Salesforce and Marketo.It can help you directly update and remove duplication data in your salesforce and Marketo account.

I would suggest you load data from Salesforce and combine it with CVS file. Run de-duplication. Export your clean data into Marketo and Salesforce

you can try TIBCO Clarity for free.   https://clarity.cloud.tibco.com/landing/index.html