Re: How do I get the form field to show up in email?

Manjari_Ferguss
Level 1

How do I get the form field to show up in email?

Having trouble with a form. I have created a form on my website, and in the auto email that gets sent to marketing when someone fills out the form, I can't figure out how to get all the fields to show up.

I have added a token for each of the questions, but one of them is just a text box where the person can fill in their own answer. there is no token for a text box. how do I do this? the form has another text box that is called comment capture, and there is a token for comment capture, but when I use it twice it just duplicates the first comment capture so I'm not sure how to get the second one to show up.

help please?

Tags (2)
13 REPLIES 13
Amit_Jain
Level 8 - Community Advisor

Do you have a specific Marketo field mapped with the text box in the question? May be the text box label is different than the actual Marketo field. To check the exact Marketo field name, edit the web-form, select the text box in question and check the "Field" under properties:

pastedImage_1.png

The field is the actual database field name of Marketo and you should search that while trying to add token on the email.

Manjari_Ferguss
Level 1

Thank you. The field is actually some random one that I don't recall selecting. How do I create a new field?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The field is actually some random one that I don't recall selecting. How do I create a new field?

It can't be random, and certainly there's no reason to create a new field -- that's just something you'll never be able to delete in the future.

If the field is shown in Form Editor, then it must exist in your database (Marketo doesn't allow you to hide a field that's known to be in use on a form) and as Amit notes, you'd see the field name in Form Editor. When you click Insert Token to browse for tokens, it will show up there as well.

Manjari_Ferguss
Level 1

Thanks, I figured it out. I created a new form field in the database section, and was able to insert that as a token. problem solved. thanks for your help! 

Admin>Field Management>New

SanfordWhiteman

OK... but I don't like this outcome. You now have a wasted field cluttering the db. You should've been able to find the existing field, given that it was on the form. All fields on the form are accessible as tokens.

SanfordWhiteman

When you browse for a token, Marketo shows you the available {{lead.token}} and {{company.token}} names (and {{my.}}/{{system.}}/{{program.}} tokens as well).

pastedImage_6.png

... there is no token for a text box.

Tokens don't explicitly have datatypes, so not sure what you mean here.

Also, a Text field on a form isn't even a datatype, it's merely a form field type that allows multi-line input by the end user. You can have a Text field on a form that saves to a String field in the database, for example (if the value is short enough). You wouldn't see the type "text box" in Marketo other than in Form Editor. Textarea or String, yes. But again, that's not related to finding the token.

Manjari_Ferguss
Level 1

Sorry yes it is a text field in the form editor, not text box. How do I get a token for this text field in the email? 

SanfordWhiteman

The text-related types in Form Editor are "Text" or "Text Area".

But again the field type that's published on this particular form for user input has absolutely nothing to with the token or how to find it!

How do I get a token for this text field in the email? 

Browse for it using the Insert Token button as shown above.

TBlane_McMichen
Marketo Employee

First of all, you are missing Sanford's warning about cluttering your database with fields.  Keep in mind that when you add a field, it will require database space for every lead in your database and every one created in the future.  Do this too much and you will likely have performance issues in the future.  I have learned at Summit that it is better to create a few "generic" fields (Text, Boolean, etc.) that you can reuse for different campaigns.

[Stepping off the soapbox now.]

Can't you just open your form editor and see which field is being used, then search for it in the token selector, as Sanford Whiteman suggests.