Re: How do I delete all unsubscribed members

Marketo_Traini8
Level 1

How do I delete all unsubscribed members

I had a bad csv file upload of members.  I changed them all to Unsubscribed, but how do I delete these from my members list?

3 REPLIES 3

Hi,

one approach is to create a smart campaign that will delete the unsubscribed persons (everybody who has a field "Unsubscribed" set to True).

Set the conditions in the campaign "Unsubscribed" is "True". If you want to remove just those that you uploaded, you may need to add additional criteria to sort them out., like Person was Created or Created at". And then in the flow step select "Delete person". 

But caution: this will delete all these people from the Marketo! (not just remove them from the lists)

Best;m

Diana_Watts3
Level 3

That depends on whether you want to (a) delete them from your Marketo instance, or (b) remove them from your list, but leave them in Marketo. As always, there is more than one way to skin a cat - it just depends on whether you want a (digital) paper trail or not.

Deleting them from Marketo entirely

1. If you want to leave a 'paper trail', then you can set up a new campaign. In the smart list of the campaign, identify the people you would like to delete/remove from list. In the flow step, use 'Delete person'. 
  2. To do a straight delete (with no record of the action) you can simply select the people from the list you want to delete, then click 'Delete person'. No campaign required. 

Remove from list only, and keep in Marketo

1. Again, if you want to leave a 'paper trail', set up a new campaign. In the smart list of the campaign , identify the people you would like to delete/remove from list. In the flow step, use 'Remove from list'.
  2. To remove from list with no record of the action you can simply select the people you want to remove, then click 'Remove from list'. No campaign required. 

I hope that helps! 

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

There's something else to consider beyond Diana's and Matjaž's responses.

If by "bad CSV" you mean people you did not ever have permission to email at all -- as in, a purchased list that someone uploaded illicitly -- and you never spammed them, then you should set Unsubscribed back to true just before deleting them.

Otherwise, Marketo will remember that they were Unsubscribed when they later reenter your system via a totally legit route like filling out a form.

Under other circumstances, you would want the Unsubscribed value to be durable, because someone's contact preference must persist even if you delete them. But in this case they didn't actually Unsubscribe, so even though you must get rid of them, you're not under an obligation to remember that you can't contact them.

(Please change your name on the Community by the way, you're supposed to use a real name.)