How can you find the demographics of the people that are opening emails for a specific email

Michell_Bauer
Level 2

How can you find the demographics of the people that are opening emails for a specific email

I am trying to figure out what the similarities are between the people that are opening a particular email and who are not. We have a newsletter that we send out quarterly that is not performing well. We are trying to determine the type of person that is and is not opening this particular email. I do not find anything useful in email insights. I need to dig deeper than what state or country the email is being opened from considering our business is in only 1 state.

5 REPLIES 5
Grace_Brebner3
Level 10

Re: How can you find the demographics of the people that are opening emails for a specific email

Hey Michell,

RCE reporting is your best bet for this kind of analysis, if you have it included. 

If not, you'll likely be best to export smart lists of recipients who did & didn't open and do your analysis outside of Marketo, making sure you include all columns you think may be relevant.

Balkar_Singh
Level 9 - Champion

Re: How can you find the demographics of the people that are opening emails for a specific email

In addition to the evergreen way to analyse it outside Marketo - if the audience was segmented, we can assume there's a refined scope to gather this insight.

Also - would suggest to consider the Content Type (TOFU/MOFU/BOFU) and any other parameters which can "normalize" the comparison - e.g. look for the opens for one email, but comparing it with an email which was sent at a different time may get slightly distorted. 

Email Reports - activity date/time can provide insights into "when" was it opened/engaged with last time?

In addition, if the data is already segmented - identify how much of the audience falls into different segments. 

If not, it's recommended to define segmentations on some basis - e.g. personas, customers etc.

Grace_Brebner3
Level 10

There are some good points here but it's worth acknowledging that anything involving segmentation would mean that you'd be looking at factors that - for whatever reason - you've pre-determined to be important (given that the # of segmentations available in an instance is limited). Looking only at segmentation would only confirm whether your pre-determined factors are indeed influential, and not do anything to help you identify new factors - if that's your intention.

Michell_Bauer
Level 2

Thank you Grace and Balkar. We do not have RCE, so I had to export relevant data and do analysis in excel. I agree I would love to get any insight including new factors, but I am only able to look at the segmentations that have already been set up. 

Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

I need to dig deeper than what state or country the email is being opened from considering our business is in only 1 state.

Email Insights can do this out of the box!  I don't have a screenshot to share, but open Email Insights, and one one of the pickers above the chart in the middle you can switch it to report "By Audience" -> "Country" or "State".  This will break down your email metrics by geographical region.

On the "Drivers" section on the right hand side, you can also configure it to show what is driving the most Opens, Clicks, and Unsubscribes and have it show audience/geographical/segementation metrics there.