Re: How can I update the Original Referrer field?

Nathan_Youmans
Level 2

How can I update the Original Referrer field?

How can I update a Marketo system field, specifically, Original Referrer? 

We had this field populate with a broken link that is now breaking the sync between this lead and SFDC. We have tried to update the field with a list upload and data value change but to no avail. 

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can't update this field. It's system-managed.

What validation rule is being violated by the link?  A referrer string can actually contain any value (it's entirely set on the client/browser side). Putting a limit on what it can contain is, to say the least, uncommon.

Nathan_Youmans
Level 2

This is the error message we are getting: "An invalid XML character (Unicode: 0xb) was found in the element content of the document."

The link in the Original Referrer field has a space in it when we look at the field on the lead record but in the sync error details it shows "" where the space is. 

Our Original Referrer field type is a URL field, not a string field. 

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

This is actually a SOAP -- that is, SFDC's XML-based API -- validation error, rather than a field validation error per se. It looks like you have a VTAB in the field and Marketo isn't properly escaping it, breaking the XML as a whole. This would happen with any field, in other words.

Your only choice for now is going to be to create a new lead and merge the two. It ain't pretty.