SOLVED

How can I track time on page

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I track time on page

I was thinking that I could use some javascript on the page and pass the time on page into a parameter eveytime they click on a new page.

My problem is how can I then create a trigger that says if they stayed on the page longer than 3 seconds then trigger an email?

Thanks!

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: How can I track time on page

Use the Munchkin API and send a synthetic Click Link or Visit Web Page event.  Then a Visit/Click trigger constrained by your custom query param.

Note that using a simple timer, while useful, is quick-and-dirty and falls down if someone opens a tab in the background, etc.  You need to use the Page Visibility API, where supported, to be more exact.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

That's a hard one. There are few ideas to vote for :

Greg  

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Use the Munchkin API and send a synthetic Click Link or Visit Web Page event.  Then a Visit/Click trigger constrained by your custom query param.

Note that using a simple timer, while useful, is quick-and-dirty and falls down if someone opens a tab in the background, etc.  You need to use the Page Visibility API, where supported, to be more exact.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks that is very helpful, I will look into it

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Can you tell us more about the use case? I hope you wouldn't send me an email after looking at the page within the next 3 seconds.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Josh:

The use case is regarding tracking time on page and time on site and using that information to drive engagement and scoring models.  Maybe 60 seconds or 180 seconds could potentially be used as a trigger