SOLVED

Re: How can I send 1 email with dynamic content blocks for products they have and products they don't have?

Go to solution
Ronn_Burner
Level 4

Re: How can I send 1 email with dynamic content blocks for products they have and products they don't have?

Yes. Ugh. I need to create all new custom fields with type set to' Datetime'... these were built as 'Date' apparently. I simply changed the {{system.date}} token to {{system.dateTime}} in the flow step that writes that data when the Subscription takes place.

Obviously I can build the appropriate new 'Product X Subscribed Date' (times 😎 custom fields moving forward but what suggestions do you have to remedy those records already populated with a 'Date'?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Yes, a flow step cannot change the datatype (think about who can add flow steps vs. who has access to Field Management and this will surely make sense).

You don't need to create 8 new fields. You should be able to create 1 new, temporary Date field to hold old values while you change each existing Date to a DateTime, one at a time.

Converting a field is a destructive act. So you first copy, for example, oAPSubscribedDate to your temporary Date field using Change Data Value. Then convert the datatype for just that one field. Then copy the temporary field back to the changed oAPSubscribedDate.

Then clear all the values of the temporary field. Now the temporary field is ready for reuse. Repeat for cRMProSubscribedDate, copying to the temp field, changing the datatype of the real field, and copying the data back.

Or export all your values to CSV, together with the email address of course, change all the datatypes (which destroys all current values) and reimport the CSV. This wouldn't even require a temp field.

Ronn_Burner
Level 4

I've run into this in the past. I've selected the custom field then the 'Field Actions' > Change Type and this is what happens.

pastedImage_1.png

In order to change the type after I export CSV will I then need to go into all locations for each 'Product X Subscribed Date' and remove from each program/list? I like your way better to have the option to simply change the type and destroying current values and then importing new values.

SanfordWhiteman

Whatever you do is going to require un-using the current field, either temporarily or permanently.

If you switch to 8 new fields then you need to switch all the places the old fields were used.

If you use the temp field then you need to temporarily switch all the places the old field was used, as you swap the values.

There's no way around needing to touch all the places the field is used.

Ronn_Burner
Level 4

Understood. Just wanted to confirm.

I haven't forgotten about this but in the process of exporting to CSV I discovered that 'Product X Subscribed Date' per product is updating daily to that day. So all leads Subscribed Dates are today. Obviously a major problem I need to resolve asap.

This is occurring due to this Smart Campaign (below). I'm unclear as to what specific action needs to take place to qualiify for “Was Added to Product Revised” (the 002 New (Daily) Subscriptions (Trigger) Campaigns in the tree) versus what action qualifies as “Has Product Revised” - the 001 Batch campaigns.

It appears the one time daily sync is causing this Smart Campaign to read that data as new and update the 'Subscribed Date' to the current day.

You wouldn't happen to clearly be able to see precisely what the problem is would you?

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_1.png

SanfordWhiteman

Those filters refer to Custom Objects.

Ronn_Burner
Level 4

Only Filter 1 Has Products Revised and 4 DCID are Custom Objects. Dealership Account Status is a Custom Field. I don't know what you mean in terms of identifying that as being a problem or "thee" problem.  That Smart Campaign should work in my mind by writing the Product X Subscribed Date one time on the day it takes place and it remains that datetime. What do I need to do to accomplish that?

pastedImage_6.png

SanfordWhiteman

You can't read the field subscribedOn from the Custom Object in a flow, if that's what you mean.  It is not accessible as a token in that context, only in Velocity.

Ronn_Burner
Level 4

That's not exactly what I'm doing but your point may still stand. Let me explain and then advise accordingly.

I am actually not using the Custom Object subscribedOn field in the flow - that field and many having to do with our CRM have been very problematic as it was implemented prior to my arrival with little planning complicating the Marketo integration tremendously.

Rather what I've done is converted the Custom Object into a custom field on the lead record. Just "flattened" out the CO with the custom field 'DMS Subscribed' into a boolean True or False when "Status" (a CO attribute) = 'Subscribed'.

'DMS Subscribed Date' with the token is also a custom field on the lead record - which does work. I believe all of that is done completely correct. As a matter of fact, I'm almost certain this was your solution (I could be wrong though) I found here in the community and built a couple years ago.

Assuming that is correct, and in fact, this is the Smart Campaign rewriting the date every day. So the flow is working. The Smart List is the problem in that it's doing exactly what it is told but am I telling it incorrectly?

Is it scanning every day for ALL records 'Subscribed' to 'Dealer Desktop (DMS)' plus the filters and then pushing them through the flow - which is updating their 'DMS Subscribed Date' with the daily sync? That sure seems to be the case. If so, how can I remedy that? I didn't think this would happen because if the data value is NOT changing in the CRM (after the one time) then it should not sync and overwrite again UNTIL the value changes to "unsubscribed".

What is the difference between the two Custom Objects: "Added to..." and "Has..." - in terms of what action qualifies for each? I created a Trigger campaign for "Added to..." (thinking it meant catching NEW) and this Batch campaign for "Has..." (thinking it was catching UPDATED). One problem I see is in the Campaign Schedule I'm allowing the lead to run through the flow every time - changing that to only once may solve it all. Oh my goodness, can it be that easy?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I can see that I can correct all of this as well as properly implement the Velocity that began this conversation I just want to ensure with your guidance I get to the desired result properly.

Ronn_Burner
Level 4

I have successfully changed the datatype for the custom fields and appropriately checked all the 'Product X Subscribed' (Boolean T/F) and 'Product X Subscribed Date' (DateTime) boxes in the Script Token. I think everything is where it needs to be to move forward now. This is how the preview-by-list appears (below).

Am I missing any other boxes to check and/or where do I need to go from here? Thank you.

pastedImage_1.png