SOLVED

How best to handle temporal marketing lists

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

How best to handle temporal marketing lists

We have campaigns that may have same name e.g. win a t shirt sept 2012; however, we may run that same campaign in 2013 or even a different month.

This users per campaign are put into a list; however, how best to distinguish those users e.g.
  • get all leads from 9/2013 sneaker campaign
  • get all leads from 9/2012 sneaker campaign
  • get all sneaker campaign leads

should I name the lists differently i.e. "Sneaker Campaign Fall 2012". Was under the impression to use the same name i.e. "Sneaker Campaign" but you cannot distinguish if you do this.

Thanks ~

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How best to handle temporal marketing lists

The goal is very simple. I have a campaign that can run periodically (this campaign is external to marketo - but I dont think this matters). In this case, I can have "Sneaker Campaign Fall 2002", as well as "Sneaker Campaign Spring 2005". Its the same type of campaign (i.e. Sneaker Campaign); however, the time is the difference (i.e. temporal).

I need to be able to say ... "Get all registrants from 2015", "Get all sneaker campaign registrants from 2014", "Get all sneaker campaign registrants", "Get all sneaker campaign registrants in the winter". My original question is/was - How best to handle this.

From what I am getting/observing, it seems that the optimal way would be to create e.g. two static lists and one smart list.

Static List 1 = Sneaker Campaign Fall 2014
Static List 2 = Sneaker Campaign Spring 2014
Smart List 1 = All Sneaker Campaign {sl1, sl2}

With this i can say, get all campaign 1, get all campagin 2 and get all campaign.

The option it seems you are suggesting includes creating an additional field or reuse a person field to add that temporal info to e.g. update time, but this isn't optimal as I can update for any reason other then creation - so update time is not tied to campaign time 1-to-1.

Let me know if you/anyone confirms this to be/not to be the case.

Thanks ~

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Where are these lists located? Are these smart lists?

Typically I would name any list as clearly as possible.
Anonymous
Not applicable

THese are not smart lists - they are located under my list.

We have external (to marketo) campaigns. We get exports of those leads e.g. csv. We then import those leads into marketo into the designated list.

Right now I have those lists named with no temporal info; however, it seems that I should name those lists with temporal info e.g. Sneaker Campaign Fall 2012, in order to distinguish when the user joined/signed-up for that campaign. Possibly then using a smart list on top of all those temporal lists, to say e.g.  Get All Sneaker Campaign registrants.

Is this the best way/correct way to go about?

Thanks ~
Anonymous
Not applicable

Possibly I clicked best answer by accident, but note - this issue is not resolved as yet FYI
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi David,

I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to ask. Are you looking to pull these lists into a master list with an identifier for where the leads came from in the events?

If that is the case I would recommend using a person note or updated field to add a note like the "9/2013 sneaker campaign" or the date of the event as the update to signal that's the list the lead came from when that list gets generated. So when the generic "sneaker campaign" for the new event list is created it inserts that title/date. That would differentiate the leads from one temporal event from another as a potential solution if the source software accomodates that option. 

If you are asking for the best naming convention it is always a good idea to be as descriptive as possible so someone not familiar with what they are looking at has a good notion of what it is. In that case the naming of the sneaker campaign with the date included is a better option and then pulling the leads from each list. So a descriptive name and a nested smart list query I think is where Josh was going.

I come from a more programming background and when I looked at the question I think of relational modeling and you'd want some for of key to set the lists apart. A unique title, date or even an event ID would help you single out leads by the event. But it's going to depend on what the source of the lists can put in on if you can do anything other than a unique name, because you will need a common field between that software and Marketo to allow easier exporting to what I assume is a csv that can be imported into Marketo.

I'm new to the Marketo community so I can't give you a perfect answer yet. But I hope that at least helps a little bit.

Best of luck

Anonymous
Not applicable

The goal is very simple. I have a campaign that can run periodically (this campaign is external to marketo - but I dont think this matters). In this case, I can have "Sneaker Campaign Fall 2002", as well as "Sneaker Campaign Spring 2005". Its the same type of campaign (i.e. Sneaker Campaign); however, the time is the difference (i.e. temporal).

I need to be able to say ... "Get all registrants from 2015", "Get all sneaker campaign registrants from 2014", "Get all sneaker campaign registrants", "Get all sneaker campaign registrants in the winter". My original question is/was - How best to handle this.

From what I am getting/observing, it seems that the optimal way would be to create e.g. two static lists and one smart list.

Static List 1 = Sneaker Campaign Fall 2014
Static List 2 = Sneaker Campaign Spring 2014
Smart List 1 = All Sneaker Campaign {sl1, sl2}

With this i can say, get all campaign 1, get all campagin 2 and get all campaign.

The option it seems you are suggesting includes creating an additional field or reuse a person field to add that temporal info to e.g. update time, but this isn't optimal as I can update for any reason other then creation - so update time is not tied to campaign time 1-to-1.

Let me know if you/anyone confirms this to be/not to be the case.

Thanks ~