SOLVED

Re: How are vanity urls treated in Smart Lists?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

How are vanity urls treated in Smart Lists?

I am creating smart lists for product interests based on what web pages a lead visits. Simple, right?

I have several vanity urls that point toward a main page and when added to Visited Webpage> webpage is: url , vanity url 1, vanity url 2, neither are recognized. For some lists the url is accepted, others it shows: errors in nested Smart List. Could not evaluate rule 1 (invalid for web page ('vantagewest.org/certificates.' not found)).

Any ideas on how vanity urls are treated?

Thanks for the help.

Carol

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

That's correct. There is no way for the Marketo LP to know it bounced off anywhere else in-between.  Interstitial HTTP 301/302 redirects don't leave a trace (unless they deliberately add information to the URL before redirecting).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Carol,

AFAIK, only the real URL will be seen by Marketo, the vanity ones will not. The Vanity URL server might be seen as the referrer, though.

Sanford Whiteman​ will have more insight on this.

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman

Yes, if the server does a 301/302 redirect (most efficient) from the vanity/alias URL to the real LP, Marketo will never see the alias.

If the server uses a JavaScript redirect, the real LP will see the original alias as the Referrer -- but that also means the "real" Referrer will be erased, so I doubt this is being done.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So therefore all of the leads coming through the vanity url are attributed to the real url?

thx for the help.

Carol

SanfordWhiteman

That's correct. There is no way for the Marketo LP to know it bounced off anywhere else in-between.  Interstitial HTTP 301/302 redirects don't leave a trace (unless they deliberately add information to the URL before redirecting).