SOLVED

How are people handling low-engagement filters with the new Marketo data retention policy?

Go to solution
Ryan_Spaulding
Level 3

How are people handling low-engagement filters with the new Marketo data retention policy?

Hey everyone,

I'm a part of a B2B org and as we're all aware, in B2B, it's pretty important to have low engagement pull contacts out of frequent sends so we're not peppering the same orgs over and over. These end up being part of reengagement campaigns.

In my past we used criteria like contact is older than 1 year, has been sent 12 emails over 6 months, hasn't opened or clicked any emails in 6 months, hasn't visited any web page in 6 months, hasn't filled out any forms for 6 months, etc.

Marketo's recent switch to maintain only 90 days of email and web visit behavior blew a hole in this strategy because 3 months is just way too short of a timeframe to measure activity when you have a 6-12 month sales cycle. 

So I'm reaching out to the community - how are you doing similar low-engagement activities?
Does anyone have any ideas how to expand to longer than 90 days?

I cant get the org on board with using 90 days - and frankly - I'm also not a fan of Marketo going that short of a timeframe. Not a well-thought-through plan if you ask me. 90 days is almost nothing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: How are people handling low-engagement filters with the new Marketo data retention policy?

Simply keep DateTime fields updated with the timestamp of their last interesting activity of that type.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: How are people handling low-engagement filters with the new Marketo data retention policy?

Simply keep DateTime fields updated with the timestamp of their last interesting activity of that type.

Ryan_Spaulding
Level 3

Good solution. Thank you. We'll have to figure our how to backdate it, but I do think that would work.