How Does Marketo Build RTP Segments?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How Does Marketo Build RTP Segments?

I'm trying to learn more about how Marketo RTP works, particularly the segment targeting.

Does anyone know what the RTP segments are based off of? For instance, how does Marketo know the user is from a Fortune 500? If that user uses the same computer but from a different location, is it possible they will be classified as a different segment?

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Does Marketo Build RTP Segments?

Marketo does a reverse IP lookup at the time of the interaction and can find out location, organization, industry that way.  Marketo also stores up to 10 activities for anonymous users.  For known users the entire database is available for segmentation.

Marketo keeps a database of all the IP blocks out there and knows what company you are coming in from.  With this data we can imply Fortune 500 status for example.  If you come in from a different computer next time you may not qualify for the same segment.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jamie,

Thanks for the quick response. I do have a follow-up question.

Let's say that I am targeting Fortune 500s in my RTP campaign. It sounds like if a user is seeing my homepage for the first time, they'd need to be on their work IP in order to see that RTP campaign. Is there any way they'd be able to see if from their home computer?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, if they are coming in from their home computer they will not trigger the campaign.