How Can a Lead Update Their Email Preferences

Anonymous
Not applicable

How Can a Lead Update Their Email Preferences

We have a number of different, regularly scheduled email programs running (newsletter, nurture campaigns, etc...) and we'd like to enable our leads to tell us how often they'd like to be emailed, or even select what type of content they'd like to receive from us.

Is there an easy way to enable a lead to tell us how often, and what type of communication they want to receive? And then, how do we track that information in Marketo, and make sure that we are only emailing them at their ideal frequency, etc...
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Can a Lead Update Their Email Preferences

Hi Justin,

The common way of doing this is set up a subscription center with checkboxes pertaining to your types of content. There they can check the boxes of what types they want to receive while leaving the checkbox for the content they're not interested in blank.

Then in your smart campaigns you'd add in a filter for "X field ="true"" so that the email would go to only those who checked that box.

If you're using streams, you could add people to streams (pre-set up with the specific time intervals) that coincide with the desired email frequency--you could do the same with smart campaigns but it's not a streamlined. (See what I did there?)

Marketo has a good webinar on how to set all this up--it's what I used to get our subscription center going.

You can find it here: Marketo Masters: Don't Let Them Unsubscribe (Subscription Management)

Kimi_Heskett1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

We use the field/checkboxes method. You can see our preference page here: http://info.hyland.com/Email-Preferences.html 

Simple, but effective! 
Michelle_Tizian
Level 10

I have yet to do our subscription center or preference page.  Now that our Events department is using Marketo, I have a better idea of the types of categories to include that's specific to events.  Kimi, I checked your preference page, it displays yes or no as options how does that work with the check box method because I'm not seeing an option to click on a check box.  If they pick yes on some of the options, do your leads automatically get added to a suppression list?  
Kimi_Heskett1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Sorry Michelle, I mis-spoke (mis-typed). We use yes/no on the form but it's a boolean field. In SFDC they display as checkboxes. checked = true as in YES I want those. 

We use the fields on all email send smart lists. So if we're sending an event email a filter is 'Preferences - Events' = TRUE

We autosubscribe all new leads to TRUE on all preference fields so it's an opt out rather than an opt-in. That's just a triggered campaign when a lead is created to mark all as true. 
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Take a look at some suggestions here
http://www.marketingrockstarguides.com/subscription-management-tips-for-marketo-454/