Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sir/Madam Code?

Here is the template code:
Hello {{lead.First Name:default=Sir/Madam}},

If I put:  Hello {{lead.First Name:default=}},

Then it puts – Hello ,

If we leave off the comma, then it just says Hello. I think Hello by itself is ok if there is no name, and Hello (person’s name) is good, without the comma.

But, is there some code where it will leave the entire thing blank if we have no name, and it will put Hello before the name, if there is a name?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hi Sir/Madam Code?

We do salutations for 6 languages. In Germany & the Netherlands the salutation itself changes depending on the gender of the person responding to the email. So we have a bit more complex of a "letter salutation" that looks at the Salutation or Preferred Language. 

0EM50000000QeY0.jpg

The real benefit to this is that all I need in my emails is {{lead.Letter Salutation}} without any punctionation as that's a piece of the formula field. I never have to worry about a trailing coma or slash with this method.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Amber_Hobson
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

If you put something after the "default=" then it will add that whatever copy you put there. For instance, we put for our client communications default=Valued Client so that when we do not have a first name, it puts Hello Valued Client,

I'm not sure if there is a way to have it with nothing for when you have no name.
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a way to fix, but it's really complicated and I haven't bothered. Instead, we use a dash instead of a comma, so:

Hello Emily - 

or

Hello  -

Not the best, but it works. And the space isn't as glaring as it is with the comma. I will say it looks better with something like Good Morning or Good Afternoon, but you can't always know when certain emails will go out.

I'll try to find that article that explains how to do the more complicated fix....but it's difficult.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good idea with the dash.  

When it is a client, we do the Hello Valued Client.  If the email is a list of non clients or a combination, we use Hi there.  Just an idea.

Good luck
Anonymous
Not applicable

We do "Marketo Rockstar", but I do like the dash too.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's complicated method Emily mentioned:
http://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000Kyp3CAC

Anonymous
Not applicable

We do salutations for 6 languages. In Germany & the Netherlands the salutation itself changes depending on the gender of the person responding to the email. So we have a bit more complex of a "letter salutation" that looks at the Salutation or Preferred Language. 

0EM50000000QeY0.jpg

The real benefit to this is that all I need in my emails is {{lead.Letter Salutation}} without any punctionation as that's a piece of the formula field. I never have to worry about a trailing coma or slash with this method.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for all the helpful answers! I do appreciate it!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great response of Adam! Very helpful for me. I followed that approach and also created the formula field (see image). However if I use this newly created formula within e.g. an E-Mail as a token the system only uses the default value  - even if choices for "Herr" and "Frau" are available. Did you came across a situation like this as well? 0EM50000000Rp2z.jpg