Re: Helpful skills, training, certifications, etc.?

Eric_Woll
Level 3

Helpful skills, training, certifications, etc.?

Hey Community!

I'm curious to hear what sorts of additional skills, trainings, certifications, etc., people have done to help them even further in their careers. I've taken a basic HTML class that has helped me passed the MCE exam, but I'm wondering what other things people have done to further advance their skill set.

Looking forward to hearing what people have to say!

Thanks!

-Eric

10 REPLIES 10
Chris_Johnston
Level 8

Great Question Eric and I think there is 2 schools of thought - narrow and wide focus. I have chosen a wide focus and supplemented my degree with a Digital Marketing Management Certificate and Digital Graphic Design Certificate. I especially found the Strategic Selling & Strategic Customer Relationship Management at the University of Toronto to be an amazing course. I personally enjoy working at small organizations and thus being able to handle a variety of tasks has really helped my career.

When going with a narrower focus, I also think, even if you aren't using the other platforms, getting certified with Hubspot or Eloqua, or Pardot or something helps you get an idea of how other systems are promoting their version of Marketing Automation and gets you out of one ecosystems silo. Most have training courses online for free even if you don't choose to get certified. Picking those that are less platform specific and more generic are often great and can change the way you think about what you are doing. (Marketo University has great courses to take advantage of too). When you understand the tactics, applying them in a particular platform becomes a lot easier.

I also find that looking at Career Planning like I look at Lead Scoring is helpful. When starting to tweak the lead scoring model, looking at successful wins and other loses, what leads weren't ready to move forward etc, you can find the right success path. In a similar way, if you figure out where you want to be in 5, 10, 20 years, you can figure out what education/certifications will help you achieve that.

Eric_Woll
Level 3

Thanks, Chris! I appreciate the advice and insight.

Darrell_Alfons2
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Salesforce certified administrator training and cert for the win!

Invaluable IMHO

Eric_Woll
Level 3

Absolutely, Darrell! It looks like there are a lot of helpful trainings Salesforce offers for free. Thanks for the advice!

Priyank_Joshi3
Level 6

If you wish to dive deep in salesforce, Trailheads is the place. It give you step by step courses and learning instructions based on your preference.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Eric! I completed Pedowitz's Marketo Next: Advanced Marketo User Training for Admins over the summer. It's a 16 hour class with an online instructor and open Q&A. Some of the material was still pretty basic, but I did walk away with several new ideas and a better understanding of best practices, data management, tokens, dynamic content, segmentation, snippets, and basic reporting.

Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

Hey,

I use LinkedIn Learning which is free with a paid LinkedIn account.  It is basically a reskined lynda.com as LinkedIn purchased them last year.  The site has thousands of courses including digital marketing, coding and Salesforce.

LinkedIn Learning: Online Courses for Creative, Technology, Business Skills

Eric_Woll
Level 3

Thanks, Gerard! I didn't know about this on LinkedIn. Definitely see some useful courses. I appreciate the tip!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Eric!

I'm not sure if this is of interest to you, but we started using Power BI as a data visualization tool and our CMO LOVES the reports we've given her from it. There is a free one-day training up in Indianapolis next Tuesday (sorry, short notice I know) that Dusty Garner-Carpenter and I are going to. Here's the link to the registration if you're interested! https://www.microsoftevents.com/profile/form/index.cfm?PKformID=0x23942290001&ch=x2.1