Help with Abandonment Triggers

Greg_Lang1
Level 2

Help with Abandonment Triggers

Hello Marketing Nation!

I am working on a project for a gated proprietary online tool. The "sign-up" form is a non-marketo form that populates a hidden marketo form upon submission. The program requires 3 separate smart campaigns in order to serve the lead a different drip campaign based on their actions - either abandoning or completing the tool to the end.

Here are the three scenarios I need to build workflows for:

• Scenario 1: Clicked to the landing page but did not sign up
    This 3-email drip is meant to get users that arrived at the landing page but did not sign up back into the tool to go through the login process. The drip should initiate the day after they went to the landing page with each drip hitting every 4 days after that until exhausted.
  • Scenario 2: Signed up but didn’t complete
    This 3-email drip targets users who did login and register but did not complete the entire tool process to the end. The drip should initiate 2 days after their failed completion with the following emails hitting every 4 days after that until exhausted.
  • Scenario 3: Completed tool all the way through
    This 3-email drip is for users that registered and completed the tool all the way through to completion. The idea for this group is that they have fully seen the value of the tool and are warm to the Euler Hermes name. The drip emails encourage the user to click out and read other content as well as get in touch with an agent. The drips should begin the day after they complete use of the tool and then hit every 4 days after that until exhausted.

My question is how would I build out the smartlist for each of these scenarios? I should also note that I will be using munchkin code on each page for tracking purposes.

Look forward to hearing your answers! Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Jay_Jiang
Level 10

Re: Help with Abandonment Triggers

What are you using for the "registration" form and the "tool" form? Regardless, the users will need to be cookied and in the case your "tool" is an app or external form, you'll need to get data back into Marketo by making an ajax post, a munchkin api call or what ever else you had in mind.

1. Smart campaign 01 for scenario 1
     Daily batch campaign with advanced filters: (Clicked link in email or Visited webpage) and Not filled out form is "registration" form
    - Run through only once

2. Smart campaign 02 for scenario 2
     Daily batch campaign with filters: Filled out form is "registration" form and Not filled out form is "tool" form

- Start your flow with remove from flow = smart campaign 01 in case the lead converted from one of the emails

- Run through only once

3. Smart campaign 03 for sencario 3
    Trigger campaign: Fills out form is "tool" form

- Start your flow with remove from flow = smart campaign 01, remove from flow = smart campaign 02 in case the lead converted from previous drips

- Run through only once

The drip emails and wait steps should be self explanatory

Greg_Lang1
Level 2

Thanks Jay Jiang! I will try this out and report back!

Greg_Lang1
Level 2

Jay Jiang, I should clarify that there isn't a "tool" form as you put it. So we can't use "Filled Out Form" as a filter. There is, however, a sign-up form, which is a non-marketo form that populates a hidden marketo form, as described in this thread: Best Way to Capture Lead Information from Non-Marketo Form

The user would fill out a "registration" form in the beginning in order to gain access to the tool and then either abandon or complete the tool. This calrification should only affect the smart campaign for scenarios 2 and 3. Would this work altneratively?

2. Smart campaign 02 for scenario 2

Daily batch campaign with filters: Filled out form is "registration" form and Not visited web page is <tool completion page>

- Start your flow with remove from flow = smart campaign 01 in case the lead converted from one of the emails

- Run through only once

3. Smart campaign 03 for sencario 3
    Trigger campaign: Visits web page is <tool completion page>

- Start your flow with remove from flow = smart campaign 01, remove from flow = smart campaign 02 in case the lead converted from previous drips

- Run through only once

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

Yes if you have a "thank you" page that people are redirected to after using the tool, that will work too and it would be the least effort required.

I'd like to add though, since it sounds like your "tool" has been custom developed and you have access to a developer,  if you would like to save what the user inputs into the tool, you can with just a bit more development.

Justin_Laberge1
Level 4

Since you mention it's not a form, can we do something like this?

When new account created you have a field called VisitedForm or something, it's blank and is text (checkboxes would be nice but you'd need to create 3 fields).

• Scenario 1: Clicked to the landing page but did not sign up
    For this, change visited form "TRUE" and leave it at that
  • Scenario 2: Signed up but didn’t complete
    For this, once they sign up but didn't complete - change VistedForm to "PARTIAL"
  • Scenario 3: Completed tool all the way through
  • For this, change VistedForm to COMPLETE.

This is assuming you can trigger the change for each step/situation. You will have to have the forms be able to send some kind of incomplete status to marketo so I'm not sure how  that would be done.

Basically it will be determined on how you set up the original forms and how the data is fed into marketo if you aren't using mtko fields.

Build your smart campaigns/nurture campaigns based on a change data value trigger for each of the 3 scenarios. Pull people out of the campaigns based on subsequent changes to that data value.