SOLVED

Help Marketo Identify Existing Leads

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help Marketo Identify Existing Leads

Hi,

We switched over to Marketo a month ago.

After importing 25K leads+contacts from CRM I see that Marketo has 25K known leads and 18K anonymous leads.

This is surely because the IP address of the "known leads(imported from CRM)" hasnt been identified by Marketo.

Here's what I am thinking might be a way to help Marketo Identify them:

1. We use Drupal CMS.

2. Write a custom drupal module that triggers an udpate as soon as the User Logs in to the website. This module would use the REST API to update a test field - de-duping using an e-mail address. Because the user has logged in "All the Account and Lead/Contact information" is already present in their Drupal account which is consistent with CRM.

3. This way the user login can work as a Form Submit to help Marketo MAP the anonymous leads to "known leads".

As time goes by, this will not be an issue as Leads will be created in Marketo First. But it will surely speed up the process for existing ones imported from CRM.

Any thoughts on this would really appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Help Marketo Identify Existing Leads

Hi Vishal,

Doing it at every login gives you more chances to capture all cookies a same person has (on various devices or if the person erases cookies). But you would better run a forms 2,0 call in the background because not only it will associate the cookies, but also because it will log a "filled out form" activity in Marketo, which you cannot do with the REST API.

-Greg

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Vishal,

Anonymous leads are leads for which Marketo had a cookie and an IP address, as well as information inferred from IP, but no name, no email. Anonymous leads will very soon be a thing of the past, so do not spend to much time on them, if these are indeed anonymous leads.  See Removal of "Is Anonymous" filters.  and Next Generation Munchkin Tracking FAQ - Marketo Docs - Product Docs . The roll out of this new version has started (done in EMEA) and will complete by tomorrow.

Second point, Marketo does not deduplicate on IP addresses, but on email addresses. Remember more than one person can have the same IP address. In a large company, it may happen that all the employees have the same IP address.

Now, your point related on how do I match the cookie with the name & email imported from your drupal accounts ?

1. Since you are using Drupal account creation / authentication, you should consider running a Marketo form in the background each time someone fills out an account creation or login form. See this post: Make a Marketo Form Submission in the background
  2. An alternative would be to capture the cookie, pass it to the Drupal back office and execute the sync with an "Associate Lead" REST API call: Associate Lead » Marketo Developers

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Greg,

Really appreciate your time.

I will look into Removal of "Is Anonymous" filters. & Next Generation Munchkin Tracking FAQ - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

And I have already implemented the Post Account Creation activity using Marketo's REST API.

But this is triggers only on Account Creation. Per your note, is it also wise to do that on every login  ? (which was my point for this discussion - I must not have phrased it correctly).

Thanks,

Vishal

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Vishal,

Doing it at every login gives you more chances to capture all cookies a same person has (on various devices or if the person erases cookies). But you would better run a forms 2,0 call in the background because not only it will associate the cookies, but also because it will log a "filled out form" activity in Marketo, which you cannot do with the REST API.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Totally sound. Exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you Greg.