Re: Have the same URL parameter fill in two hidden fields

Jose_Rafael_Par
Level 3

Have the same URL parameter fill in two hidden fields

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to populate a "most recent lead source" field at the form level. I've got two hidden fields - lead source and most recent lead source. Lead source has blocked updates, so it can only be filled in once, while most recent lead source will fill each time it's update. I've set both of them to respond to the URL parameter "utm_source". The source field updates fine, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the most recent source. It updates sometimes, but most of the time it ignores the URL parameter. 

Does anyone else use the same parameter on two hidden fields? Have you run across this problem? Any solutions?

Thanks!
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Sounds like it should work, but if it's not, you might add another parameter like "recentsrc=" so it works better.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm with Josh. If you've having a problem with the source filling twice then use a 2nd parameter.
Anonymous
Not applicable

We just started using the same URL parameter to capture the original and current values - for approximately 5 different parameters.  Basically, we're capturing the original and current values for all the URL parameters that Google URL builder supports and it's working fine. 

We're using a custom tracking cookie to store URL parameters in the visitor's browser so that might be helping.  If you don't have a tracking cookie to store the URL parameter, then if someone hits your landing page with a URL parameter, then navigates away from the landing page, and then returns to the landing page, the URL parameter is lost.  If your form is set to read a URL parameter, MKTO can only read the parameter if it is present in the address on the page.  So you need to have a strategy for handling the scenarios when people click a link, hit a landing page, but navigate away from the landing page, before they submit the form.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dani,

With regards to your solution above - we want exactly what you've described (a strategy where if someone clicks the link, hits the landing page but navigates away before submitting the form).

You've mentioned your custom tracking cookie to store URL parameters in the visitor's browser.  Do you have any advice on the best way to obtain this?  Even if it's a brief we can give to a web developer that would be helpful

Thanks,

Nat