SOLVED

Re: Has anyone connected Microsoft Azure Marketplace to Marketo succesfully?

Go to solution
Nancy_Rosentha5
Level 2

Has anyone connected Microsoft Azure Marketplace to Marketo succesfully?

I have been asked to receive leads from Microsoft Azure Marketplace, only they are extremely rigid in their willingness to change the mapping of fields, so I need to find another way to map their incoming LeadSource, which is NOT what we want in this field to Person Notes, and for us to use our normal processing to populate Person Source.  Please help.

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You would need a 3rd field, let's call it LockedLeadSource. This field is blocked from updates in the way you currently block LeadSource. You'd use that to save/restore the canonical lead source, checking based on whether the Data Value Change [Reason] constraint contains the Microsoft URL.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman

While you could use a simple gateway to relay leads to Marketo via Microsoft's generic "HTTPS Endpoint" (instead of the branded "Marketo" endpoint) this development effort doesn't seem worth it. You also have to keep rate limits in mind, and of course maintain another mission-critical system.

This effort might be worthwhile if you had some additional pressing needs. But for just one field mapping, I think Jay's answer on your other thread is perfectly fine: copy the Microsoft-provided Person Source to Person Notes in a flow. Then NULL out the Person Source. You'll always know when this is appropriate, because there's a form dedicated to the Microsoft leads, no?

Nancy_Rosentha5
Level 2

Yes, there is a specific form dedicated to the Microsoft Leads, so the problem is that we would have to make LeadSource no longer blocked, which seems to be a bit dangerous, since we are heavily reliant on this field not changing from the original Marketo Lead Source to what Microsoft is trying to populate it with . We use this field for numerous reports.  It would obviously be quite easy to "Change Data Value" to populate say, Person Notes IS {{lead.Lead Source}}, BUT if this was an existing lead, this field would already be populated with the true value and the field is blocked.  If it were unblocked, how would I move this original value to another field X before the new value is passed along, then populate what Microsoft is passing as LeadSource to Person Notes, then move field X back to Lead Source?

SanfordWhiteman

You would need a 3rd field, let's call it LockedLeadSource. This field is blocked from updates in the way you currently block LeadSource. You'd use that to save/restore the canonical lead source, checking based on whether the Data Value Change [Reason] constraint contains the Microsoft URL.

Nancy_Rosentha5
Level 2

OK.  Thanks.  Is there an easy way to do an API test.  Just as a caveat, I am not a programmer/developer.  Is there a way for me to test this api forms integration without soliciting them to send a sample api call?  I want to find out if I can can do this field manipulation, prior to the processing of the incoming Lead.  Ex. Lead Source to get assigned to a TempLeadSource field, then process the lead with the incoming api field values, which will populate the Person/Lead Source field with a VendorSpecific Value, for which I would move to some string field that accepts tokens, Here is my thinking on the steps: 

1. Create Temp field in Marketo (only Marketo, called TempLeadSource) that would temporarily hold the HID Marketo Lead Source (IF this was an existing Lead), until after the integration.  Here are the the steps:
    1. IF Lead exists, Change Data Value of TempLeadSource field to HID Marketo Lead/Person Source to  and then null out the HID Marketo Person Source field (to allow the Marketplace Azure LeadSource value to populate this, since it's a blocked field if not empty)
    2. Then trigger Marketplace integration Smart Campaign (or call this Smart Campaign) to work and populate the Lead Source with the Marketplace Azure info (their field called LeadSource) 
    3. Move that Marketplace Azure Offer info (LeadSource) to another field (of  TYPE String… so that it can be used later as a token, for re-assignment )
    4. Re-populate HID Marketo Person Source with the TempLeadSource value (which was the original Lead Source value prior to this integration).  This field is not blocked for Marketo Flow steps, so it will work.

Please let me know if you think this is sound thinking or if there's something I'm missing here.

Thanks guys, Nancy

SanfordWhiteman

You'd be able to simulate exactly what they do with a form post -- just embed that form on an LP (using the embed code). They're not using the REST API, they're using a form post.

Nancy_Rosentha5
Level 2

ok... I was able to test this, but I believe that I'm not successfully assigning the incoming Marketplace LeadSource to the new field.  I tried with a trigger for the Form Filout MarketplaceLeadBackEnd, and filterer "Person Not Created in the [past 5 minutes] so as to only process the existing Leads 

SanfordWhiteman

I'd have to see the way you have it set up, not enough info here. There's no inherent reason why swapping fields like this wouldn't work, it's not anything special to Microsoft.