SOLVED

Re: Has anyone built an editable email template using tables instead of DIV's?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone built an editable email template using tables instead of DIV's?

I'm new to Marketo and soaking up lots if info. My area of specialty used to be coding HTML email templates where we typically use tables to give structure to HTML content instead of DIV's because not all email clients play nice with CSS.

I've noticed in video tutorials on how to create your own email templates, you can define areas that will become editable in the Design Studio editor using Marketo's editable template language - basically assigning classes and ID's to them...but all the examples use DIV's to organize content instead of tables.

As new Marketo users, it would be nice to re-purpose some of current branded templates for consistency, and because they have "high production value" to our management, but they've all been coded with tables and not divisions (DIV's).

Does anyone know if we are able to define editable areas in an HTML email template that uses tables instead of DIV's?

Any feedback from more experienced users would be greatly appreciated!   

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can mark any element as mktEditable, not just the divs.  For instance, you can mark up an img as mktEditable.  I suppose, in your case, you may want to make the individual td/tr elements editable.

You should also check out the recently launched http://templates.marketo.com where we are publishing various email/LP and other program templates

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can mark any element as mktEditable, not just the divs.  For instance, you can mark up an img as mktEditable.  I suppose, in your case, you may want to make the individual td/tr elements editable.

You should also check out the recently launched http://templates.marketo.com where we are publishing various email/LP and other program templates
Edward_Masson
Level 10

the email DIVs are really used just to ring fence your editible region. Emails are still coded with tables as you said email clients have not moved forward with this.

we still use tables for email layout and add the DIVs to lock out areas for the marketing builders.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Add the [<div class="mktEditable"...] tag inside the <td> and you'll get a table with editable sections.
Nicole_Mossinge
Level 7

When the email isl rendered for delivery, the <div class="mktEditable"... tag is removed from the code. If your layout depends on it, it will break.

However, using
<div tags in emails is never a good idea, as there are many email clients that cannot render it properly.

Even today, tables and nested tables are the safe way to go.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for the great feedback!