SOLVED

Hard bounce and email deliverability

Go to solution
Huihsing_Kiang3
Level 4

Hard bounce and email deliverability

Hi all,

I'm on a mission to remove unmarketable leads from Marketo. I just remove all data without email and phone numbers. The next big list to tackle is the invalid email. Has any of you ever deleted the hard bounce from Marketo and noticed the change on the email deliverability? I'm worried it may have the negative impact by removing the hard bounce. Shall I keep the invalid email marked as "category 1"/Spam? Please advise.

Thanks a lot!

Huihsing

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Hard bounce and email deliverability

What negative impact could there be from not sending? You mean if they're readded? If you're worried about this, Unsubscribe them before deleting.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman

What negative impact could there be from not sending? You mean if they're readded? If you're worried about this, Unsubscribe them before deleting.

Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Huihsing,

Right, if you have invalid email addresses in your system and delete them out and they potentially get added in again, you run the risk of your emails bouncing again to these same email addresses. I would create a new person status or a custom field to isolate these email invalid email addresses so you keep them in the system and do not risk adding them back in. Unfortunately, there is no "durable email invalid" like the "durable unsubscribe" to safeguard against them coming back in.

SanfordWhiteman

If you consider them non-emailable you might as well Unsubscribe them. Otherwise you have to pay for them in your db for all time, which doesn't make sense.

The other option is maintaining a suppression list and always running leads through that filter, before emailing them, directly after lead creation.

Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Good point on the database size, those "dead" email addresses you're not going to email again could begin to take a chunk out of your database limit.

Huihsing_Kiang3
Level 4

What a brilliant idea! That way I won't need to pay for those invalid leads! How do you feel about deleting the unsubscribe list from Marketo?

Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman

If you don't delete them, you don't save any $... the drawback of being too aggressive w/purging is it affects reportability of those leads before they dropped off (obvs.).

So I finally purge a deleteable lead after 30, 60 or 90 days (to make sure you didn't want them in a reporting window).