Re: Hard Bounces

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard Bounces

Has anyone had an issue where emails are being marked as a hard bounce yet the person responds to the message anyways (thus it really isn't a hard bounce)?

I'm trying to figure out if servers are 'saying' they are rejecting mailings coming from Marketo's systems when in fact they are not.
Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alexandra,

couple of options here. There is a team at Marketo that reviews the hard bounces carefully and you may want to reach out to support and see if they can provide a deeper analysis on why the system is stating hard bounce when it is really being delivered. 

In addition, Servers can sometimes interpret bounces differently, meaning a soft bounce on one server may be classified as a hard bounce on another.

Hope this helps. 

Bobby Sharma
bobby@growthfusion.com

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Can you take a look at the Hard Bounce Reason code? That might give you a clue. Sometimes emails are hard bounced as spam, but could in fact have been viewed via Postini or something like that. There might hae been a server error at that time.
Elizabeth_Bonin
Level 4

Hi Josh,

We are having this issue happen as well. Emails are being marked as a bounce with a 550 reason and not being delivered however our Sales team is saying they are able to deliver via outlook. Do you know why this might be?

What do you see under "Email suspend cause" detail on a lead? Its most probable spam filter.

Elizabeth_Bonin
Level 4

Email and Marketing suspended is not checked off.

So you don't see anything similar like in this example?

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 19.17.48.png

Elizabeth_Bonin
Level 4

No they aren't suspended all I see in the activity was bounced then marked invalid at a later date because of a campaign we have running. The record is not marked suspended. I'm just wondering why they were only attempted delivery once and not again after the bounce.