HOw to Use Data Events from RTP Segments

Kamaljeet_Kaur
Level 1

HOw to Use Data Events from RTP Segments

Hi All,

Can someone help how to use "data event" in RTP segments under APIs? There is not good explanation on this in the documentation. I checked both the links but not sure where and how to make use of these?

https://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Web+Segments -> It has just one liner explanation on using data events "

Data Events - Segment visitors that trigger specific Custom Data Events

Add the Event value you want to target. E.g. from third party data sources."

https://developers.marketo.com/javascript-api/web-personalization/custom-data-events/ - documentaion here is also not clear.

I want to pass the link URL whenever user clicks any link on the site and then see if the link URL has "/folder/* pattern then create the segment and show a campaign to those users. Basically, show a campaign to users on a specific page and when he clicks on any link from the page (which is external or other folder link on the site) then show him a widget asking him to stay on the page itself or go to the clicked page.

Regards,

Kamal 

Any suggestions how to acheive this?

3 REPLIES 3
JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: HOw to Use Data Events from RTP Segments

I don't know Data Events, but I also don't think that's what you need for this scenario. There's a Behavioral segmentation criteria for "Include Pages" which will work for this. Just use that and your wildcard data to indicate when a visitor will match. The confusion I usually explain to people about "include pages" is that it's not what page the campaign runs on, it's what page a visitor sees to THEN qualify for a campaign that's running on a different page -- exactly your situation, here.

Kamaljeet_Kaur
Level 1

Thanks for your response JD. Include pages wont work here as I want to show the campaign when user tries to exit by a link click. 

eg. currently user on pageA and clicks on CTA to go to pageB, so I want to show the campaign on this click event. i.e. whenever user clicks on this CTA/or any other link on pageA which is taking user to pageB then show a campaign.

Do you think include pages will show the campaign on the same page on which click event is triggerred?

JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

I'm not sure I fully understand the concept, but if you're looking to ultimately get confirmation about a link click before going to a secondary page, then I don't think RTP is the solution for this.