SOLVED

Re: Guided Landing Page and Ad Blockers

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Guided Landing Page and Ad Blockers

Hi- I'm pretty new to Marketo, but just updated some landing pages using the new guided templates.  One of our IT people informed me that common ad blockers are now blocking templates.marketo.net and using this domain is causing the page to be broken.  The new landing pages are displaying with things all jumbled up, like the form in the wrong place etc.  He is viewing it on Chrome 46 on Windows 7.

Everything looks fine on my end both in Marketo and when accessing the live pages.  Has anyone else encountered this?  If so, is there a solution?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should set up a Cname to mask the templates.marketo.com domain

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should set up a Cname to mask the templates.marketo.com domain

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Jamie,

We followed your advice: we used a CNAME to mask templates.marketo.com domain. Anyway we are stuck now. What are the next steps? Could you detail them please?
Thank you

Best regards,

Benjamin

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Bonjour Benjamin,

You would rather use the workaround I posted in November (see below)

-Grégoire

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bonjour Grégoire,

I finally managed to implement the CNAME solution.

This is adapted to our use case because we created a Marketo macro (I only need to provide it with the form ID) on our website. So we only had to switch from app-sjst.marketo.com to our CNAME in one place once for all (we are embedding the code from the Marketo forms right into our website pages).

Example:
Situation before implementing the CNAME option > This embed code would have been blocked by Adblockers:
<script src="//app-sjst.marketo.com/js/forms2/js/forms2.js"></script>
<form id="mktoForm_1026"></form>
<script>MktoForms2.loadForm("//app-sjst.marketo.com", "299-BYM-827", 1026);</script>

After my change > this bypasses AdBlockers:
<script src="//go.example.com/js/forms2/js/forms2.js"></script>
<form id="mktoForm_1026"></form>
<script>MktoForms2.loadForm("//go.example.com", "299-BYM-827", 1026);</script>

About our landing page templates embedding Marketo forms, we did the same thing for all the templates (not a lot of work).

I spent more time searching for this information than on the implementation

Thanks for your help!

Benjamin

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

<script src="//go.example.com/js/forms2/js/forms2.js"></script>

One vital consideration for people rolling this out is that if the external page hosting the form is using https:// then your LP domain also must be using https:// (using SSL is highly advisable in both cases, but is not as common as it should be).

Felix_Habenicht
Level 1

Hi guys,

if you use the new landing page form with lightbox you should also take this solution from Benjamin for your landing page for bypasses AdBlockers.

I also recognized for my very long landing page (around 5000px), that the lightbox starts with my own CNAME util 3 sec faster.

<button class="lightboxButton" onclick="

MktoForms2.loadForm('//go.example.com', 'xxx-xxx-xxx', 2331, function (form){MktoForms2.lightbox(form).show();});">

Download your datasheet here

</button>

Best Felix

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If the difference between retrieving from your LP instance vs. from the pod is a full 3 seconds, you should open a support ticket! That kind of difference isn't really representative.  With our instances/pods, it's the same performance, including very large and busy instances.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Kristen Yanchak,

The only solution I see is that you copy all the resources from templates.marketo.net to your own domain (in Marketo or on your web server) and replace in the templates all the URLs with URLs to your domain.

We are talking here about a couple of js and css files, nothing enormous.

-Greg

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

This is a totally reasonable workaround. The resources referenced in our example landing pages will not be updated very frequently, so shouldn't be a problem to copy them down and host locally.