Greeting leads by gender in German emails

Eni_Hill
Level 1

Greeting leads by gender in German emails

I am running a campaign in Germany and the proper way to address the audience is by Dear Mr./Mrs followed by surname. In this case sehr geehrte frau [Last Name], or sehr geehrter herr [Last Name].

Currently we don't have the salutation for leads mapped out in German, only in English language. I am using a static list pulled from Salesforce and I have mapped the Title 'Herr' and 'Frau'.

Is there a way to create emails with the correct salutation? I read in another discussion about Velocity script, but not sure how this pulls the information from a static list? Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Amit_Jain
Level 8 - Community Advisor

Re: Greeting leads by gender in German emails

Since you have gender specific lists, update the salutation based on these lists and use the salutation in velocity script.

Eni_Hill
Level 1

Thank you Amit. THat's very helpful

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It's easy to do in Velocity. But I don't understand your mention of a static list. You need a field on the lead that indicates their gender.

Eni_Hill
Level 1

Thanks Sandy. I was referring to the static list as the data I had pulled from salesforce and was going to use in the campaign, instead of a smart list in MKTO. This is because it's a highly tailored message to a specific group of customers on our database. I was going to upload the list in MKTO and I wasn't sure if Velocity script would work with an uploaded list?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I was going to upload the list in MKTO and I wasn't sure if Velocity script would work with an uploaded list?

Velocity doesn't care about lists at all. It deals with fields on the lead.

Again, since someone's gender is a slowly-changing dimension (not to say that it's static over time, but not something that's expected to change constantly whenever a list is updated) it should be stamped on the lead. And then Velocity can select the greeting that is appropriate, at that time, for their gender.