SOLVED

Re: Google's New One Click to Unsubscribe

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Google's New One Click to Unsubscribe

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had insight into how Gmail's new one click to unsubscribe button may affect tracking for marketing campaigns.

The paragraph below from the article is what confused me. It would be nice to know what triggers the unsubcribe button to show up or not show up. It would also be nice to know if this will show up in the campaign metrics in terms of tracking unsubscribe rates and so on. Any help in clarifying how this may affect marketo would be nice. Thank you for your time.

Mind you, it’s not a panacea. It’s not clear, for instance, that an automated message from Gmail to a promotional sender is going to do the trick, since it circumvents the sender’s own automated removal process. It’s also not clear how Gmail differentiates between wanted and unwanted emails (or promotional versus non-promotional). The “Unsubscribe” option appeared in some of the promotional emails I flipped through this morning, but not others.

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Jean-Baptiste,

I'm part of Marketo's Privacy Team; we handle deliverability and compliance. As Adam said, it checks the list-unsubscribe header. That said, we have done some testing with it and found that it also requires both SPF and DKIM, as well as a generally good email reputation. Marketo does use the list-unsubscribe header. Most of our customers have a good reputation with Gmail, though the specifics are individual to how your messages are performing with Gmail users.

As far as SPF and DKIM, these are settings we request our customers set up, but not everyone does so. If you're not sure if you have set these up, you can contact Support to ask them to help you check.

I hope that helps!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gmail checks for the list-unsubscribe header which enables this button. In terms of tracking, I estimate that open rates would drop slightly, while unsubscribe rates would increase slightly. On first glance, this may seem like a bad thing, but you're probably going to get a truer representation of engagement this way, as some leads will open when they're simply on the way to unsubscribing.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Jean-Baptiste,

I'm part of Marketo's Privacy Team; we handle deliverability and compliance. As Adam said, it checks the list-unsubscribe header. That said, we have done some testing with it and found that it also requires both SPF and DKIM, as well as a generally good email reputation. Marketo does use the list-unsubscribe header. Most of our customers have a good reputation with Gmail, though the specifics are individual to how your messages are performing with Gmail users.

As far as SPF and DKIM, these are settings we request our customers set up, but not everyone does so. If you're not sure if you have set these up, you can contact Support to ask them to help you check.

I hope that helps!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there anything we need to do to enable this?