SOLVED

Google Analytics on Email Templates?

Go to solution
Marisa_Rybar
Level 4

Google Analytics on Email Templates?

Google Analytics does not show me emails as a referral source, but rather attributes those sources to direct traffic. So, I'm wondering if adding Google Analytics tracking code to my email templates will help it recognize the difference.

Has anyone added Google Analytics code to their email templates, and if so, what has been your experience?

Thank you!

Best,

Marisa

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Google Analytics on Email Templates?

Hi Marisa,

Google analytics code is Javascript. So not only it will not run on email clients, but it's a sure way to be blocked by the anti-viruses.

You may want to tag the links, adding some UTM codes to the URLs in the links and configure GA to capture and interpret these UTM.

A lot has been written in the community on UTM's including some ideas to make it more automated:

-Greg

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Marisa,

Google analytics code is Javascript. So not only it will not run on email clients, but it's a sure way to be blocked by the anti-viruses.

You may want to tag the links, adding some UTM codes to the URLs in the links and configure GA to capture and interpret these UTM.

A lot has been written in the community on UTM's including some ideas to make it more automated:

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If you want to map utm_medium to "email" and/or customize the source for clicked links, simply match on referrer = {your branding domain}.

Of course to get deeper data you will need to tag your links in the email editor, like Greg said.

Casey_Grimes
Level 10

Hi Marisa,

Just a quick follow-up: while I'm waiting for Part 4 of an ongoing Google Analytics + Marketo series I've been writing to post to be put up (so I can, in turn, combine the most Marketo-y parts to share here on the community), I do go into some detail on how to sort out referrer data from your emails (or remove it altogether) in Part 3 of this guide.