SOLVED

Google Analytics - Appends ?aliId= to all Thank You pages?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Google Analytics - Appends ?aliId= to all Thank You pages?

Hello,

Today I noticed something curious in Google Analytics - for the first time ever "?aliId={number}" is being appended to all Thank You page views, causing sorting by TY page to be quite difficult.

Is this a Marketo update we were unaware of? Is this data being appended through Marketo forms or some other manner? Has anyone else seen something similar?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Google Analytics - Appends ?aliId= to all Thank You pages?

PS - If you want to suppress the new aliID querystring from Google analytics, open your account. Go to the admin tab. Then Profile Settings. There about 1/2 way down you'll find a large text field, "Exclude URL Query Paramters".  There you can inter aliId (note! this is Camel case, so in all caps it would be ALIID, not ALILD). 

While you're at it, go ahead and suppress mkt_tok from GA results. This will keep visits cleaner. Most visits are decoupled from marketo's tracking, but depending on some browsers it occasionally passes through. 

//life is at peace again now that my google analytics stream isn't polluted//
Geeze guys! A little heads up?

PS- if you can't figure it out and need screenshots of How to Suppress Query strings in Google Analytics, let me know!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not just thank you pages, any page after a form... Marketo, can you respond to this? I haven't seen any documentation mentioning a new URL Parameter. If this is a permanent feature of the software, perhaps it's nice to provide a little tutorial on suppressing URL parameters in Google Analytics. 🙂 

Edit: My bet is that this is a feature that enables Social Sharing analytics, specifically social referrals, knowing which of your influences are having the greatest influence and allowing you to reward their influence. mkto -> amirite? 
Anonymous
Not applicable

PS - If you want to suppress the new aliID querystring from Google analytics, open your account. Go to the admin tab. Then Profile Settings. There about 1/2 way down you'll find a large text field, "Exclude URL Query Paramters".  There you can inter aliId (note! this is Camel case, so in all caps it would be ALIID, not ALILD). 

While you're at it, go ahead and suppress mkt_tok from GA results. This will keep visits cleaner. Most visits are decoupled from marketo's tracking, but depending on some browsers it occasionally passes through. 

//life is at peace again now that my google analytics stream isn't polluted//
Geeze guys! A little heads up?

PS- if you can't figure it out and need screenshots of How to Suppress Query strings in Google Analytics, let me know!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! This really helps. I combed through release notes and saw nothing on this. +1 it would be nice if Marketo had given a heads up or would respond now...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello I have an issue with this and not able to figure out on how to suppress this ALIID settings. So if you can provide screenshots as you suggested... Many Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry I haven't had a chance to reply to François here. I have this email opened but haven't taken the time to finish it yet. Sorry!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Adam,

no matter for this. My problem is solved and at the end it was not the same as this one.

Thanks for your reply 🙂

François
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys,

I noticed this several months back and after I initilaly investigated, it seemed to solve itself. But I've seen it come back in the last week or so. Do you know if this has any relation to us upgrading to universal Google analytics?

Thanks in advance,

James Comfort
Mikes_Jones
Level 8

@Adam

I know this was posted over a year ago, but thanks for your help and suggestion! The aliId was destroying my Analytics reporting, glad to find a solution!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Google have removed the Exclude URL Parameter but I think you can use the Group by Content feature in Analytics

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2853423?hl=en