Global lead gen forms - redirect to different URL upon submit

Carly_Stevens2
Level 2

Global lead gen forms - redirect to different URL upon submit

We're looking to move away from localised forms towards global forms to enable progressive profiling, make it easier to update everything in one place, and quickly.

Struggling with this though - so we'll have one form for all lead gen initiatives. We currently embed our forms on WordPress pages (we actually add to a Marketo LP and use that URL within WordPress to embed). We currently handle the thank you/re-direct upon form submission within the form itself, because we create a new form per new initiative.

Given that we'll now be using the same form across multiple WordPress LP's - how can we manage the thank you page redirect moving forward for every different initiative? Our thank you pages are created in WordPress too - in most cases this is actually just a redirect to a PDF report, whitepaper, etc.

I need a way that's scalable, and easy to follow for people with basic Marketo understanding. Ideally though, I want this to be managed centrally to minimise chances of errors. Is there something I can apply to the global forms which will enable redirect to a specified place based on the LP it sits in, or something similar?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Global lead gen forms - redirect to different URL upon submit

Simply use a per-page WordPress variable, pass it in the query string of the IFRAME, and use that as the Thank You URL.

Do your forms currently "frame break" and load the Thank You URL in the main window (as opposed to inside only the IFRAME)? If so, you already have the code prepped for this.

Carly_Stevens2
Level 2

Or because we put the forms into a Marketo LP, then into the WordPress LP,  I could just use the follow up option from there (the Marketo LP), couldn't I? And state in the form to 'stay on page', so the LP would dictate what happens next. Would that work?

Yes, they load as a new page in the same tab.. 

SanfordWhiteman

Or because we put the forms into a Marketo LP, then into the WordPress LP,  I could just use the follow up option from there (the Marketo LP), couldn't I?

But then you need a different Marketo LP page for each Thank You URL. That seems to defeat the purpose.

The way to delegate the Thank You URL management to WordPress authors is to create a WP variable for this, then pass it into the IFRAME (via the URL).

Carly_Stevens2
Level 2

OK - not sure I know what a WP variable is? How would I go about doing this? For example, per campaign, we're currently creating a different thank you page for each (in most cases, this is just a different file/asset/pdf that we link to)... How would that ever change??

SanfordWhiteman

A WordPress variable is set up by your WP admin and filled out by your WP authors when they create/manage a new page. It's like a $mktoVariable on a Marketo LP. 

So this puts control of the Thank You URL -- which is also a WP page, though it wouldn't have to be as the WP variable is just a string -- in the hands of WordPress people.