Re: Give a token an empty value

Kim_Allen
Level 10

Give a token an empty value

Hi,

I showed our web person tokens and how to use them. He is super excited and has so many cool ideas of using them! But one thing he asked me is if we could give a token an empty value on the global level because he wants it in all of the programs but they don't all need values. Any ideas?
Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

We put all our tokens we want on a global level in one folder that all our marketing activities reside in.  Its really quite cool - we put litmus codes, keywords, and other things we don't need to be replicating all the time.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait that might not answer your question.....are you looking for the default to be blank but then be able to edit within each program?

For this we have some "template" programs with tokens build in that our team just clones and updates the program level tokens to what they need.  ("template" because it isn't a Marketo template, its just a regular program we clone)

We've just recently started using tokens for everything and I LOVE them 🙂

Kim_Allen
Level 10

Thanks, Nichole. But I'm wondering about how to create a token with an empty value. I know for fields you can put NULL and that creates an empty value but that's not working for the tokens.

And yes, tokens are the best! I've used them for pretty much anything possible but this is the first time I've had a digital person involved so his ideas are interesting.
Jennifer_Borell
Level 2

Kim - did you ever get an answer on this?  I know this thread is super old but I am trying to insert tokens with the ability to make them blank in some programs..

Thanks in advance

Jen

JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

I'm not following the value of a having an empty token? Can you provide use-case?

Global tokens can always be overridden at the program level, so even if you didn't want it to be the exact same across programs, you could customize as needed.

Jennifer_Borell
Level 2

Hi JD - For example I have different headers - sometimes I use a hero title

and sometimes it's not necessary if the email doesn't contain a Whitepaper

or case study or something like that.

So for example, I'll have this in one email program:

White Paper:

Scaling Global Digital Media Networks

and in another it will not be an asset download, it will just be an

educational email and I would want something like this where I want the

hero title blank:

Find out why the hottest ad networks manage their publisher payments with

Tipalti.

In this case I want to be able to clone the program, update the tokens and

have my email, landing page and thank you page headers all work without me

having to edit to components in the templates.

That's my use case..there may be others.

Jen

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 1:31 PM, JD Nelson <marketingnation@marketo.com>

JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

You should just be able to override it at the local level with 

& n b s p ;    (without spaces)

That's HTML for a space. I tested with basic Text Token and it worked in my email.

Jennifer_Borell
Level 2

Awesome, thank you!

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

A script token can be blank.  Create a blank script token and override it with other token types.

JD's method will work great for the HTML version of an email but not the text version, although you may not care about that.