Getting Query String Data in Interesting Moments

Brittany_Berli1
Level 2

Getting Query String Data in Interesting Moments

Does anyone know how to get query string data included in an Interesting Moment?  Whenever someone searches for a product on our website and then visits a product page it only shows the general product url in MSI, but it doesn't show what product page they were looking at bc the query string isn't included.

I can see this data in the activity log, but I'd like to get it into MSI so our reps have that information.

Is there any way to get to do this?  

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Getting Query String Data in Interesting Moments

In order to approximate {{Trigger.Query String}} (which doesn't exist) you have to copy the query string into the hash of the URL before loading Munchkin.

Then at least it will be part of {{Trigger.Web Page}} — far from optimal, but it works.

Brittany_Berli1
Level 2

Thanks, Sanford.  Was hoping there was another way that wouldn't change our url structure. It seems weird Marketo keeps this data but doesn't make it easy to share.

Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

I don't know how many products you have, but you could also create an interesting moment trigger for each individual product page and filter each for the query string params for each product. So basically filter the trigger using the Querystring constraint, then just write the name of the product in the interesting moment flow step.

Major downsides would be that you'd have to manage those triggers as products are added/removed, or web page names change, but at least you'd get visibility in the Interesting Moments. 

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You'd be better off logging that from the client side, where the page itself would have the product info and can attach it to the URL automatically. Sounds unmaintainable on the server side, any shift in the website would break stuff.

Brittany_Berli1
Level 2

Thank you, unfortunately we have thousands of products so this wouldn't be the best scenario for us.  However, using that logic we could try to work with sales to see prioritize products and create these campaigns. Though that doesn't solve the ultimate issue of getting that data for all products in MSI.

Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

Yea, definitely not an easy/sustainable solution for most but figured I'd offer it up! Like you said, if you have a handful of focus products you could at least do those while you build out a longer term solution or update your website to have separate pages per product. Good luck!