SOLVED

Getting Leads to Go into the Correct Stream

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting Leads to Go into the Correct Stream

I’ve created a nurturing program but can’t seem to get the leads go into the correct stream. I have 5 streams set up and a corresponding smart campaign for each stream to identify the specific link clicked in the first email (i.e. click link A go to stream A, click link B go to stream B, etc.) This is all still in the testing phase as I’m new to Marketo. When I click on link A I’m being put in a different stream, I’ve checked all of the basics to make sure everything corresponds. The links contain what I’m asking Marketo to look for and I’m all out of ideas as to why things aren’t correctly responding to clicks.

This is how all of my triggers are set up to recognize a link click (I have three of these):

trigger set up.PNG

When I clicked on the link that contained "baja" I was put into the stream for people who opened but did not click on a link (see 3rd photo). But the same action for a different link (containing CR) worked and moved the email address to the correct stream.

I have a trigger set up for those who do not open the email:

trigger set up 2.PNG

The email that I used to test this trigger went into the stream  for people who opened but did not click on a link.

And another set up for those who open but do not click on a link:

trigger set up 3.PNG

The email used to test this trigger worked as it was supposed to.

I have tested this several times in the past few days and don't know what I'm missing, I'm sure it's something simple. Any help is much appreciated!

I know this is a lot of information and I hope I'm clearly expressing my issue, I tried to be as concise as possible!

Thanks!

-Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Guy_Goldstein6
Level 5

Re: Getting Leads to Go into the Correct Stream

Hey Nick,

It might help you not to associate the decision with the 5 separate campaigns - but to have a single campaign with a choice that all of those triggered campaigns requests.

So your trigger would be:

Clicks link in email is <your email>

Flow: Request campaign is <Stream assignment>

and in the stream assignment you can set it up:

If clicked link in email contains baja

stream is baha

If clinked in email contains next option

stream is next option.

It also has the added benefit of allowing you to add additional conditions like:

If visited web page contains baja

stream is baja

if you know that your baha stream achieves the best results and people might have multiple interests

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you add two triggers into a smart campaign, it always acts as an OR. So right now, your campaign says "when someone receives this email or when they click the link on it", do X. If you have your smart campaign qualification rules set up to run only one time, my guess is that your person isn't even able to go through when they actually click on it. I suspect this could be your problem, though it's a little hard to tell for sure.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does this apply if I've set up multiple smart campaigns opposed to one campaign with multiple triggers?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Separate smart campaigns are evaluated totally separately.

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Nick, similar to what Kristen said above, triggers will always function as OR statements. So as soon as you're delivered the email, you're placed into whatever campaigns are activated by that trigger. Can you confirm whether there is a single campaign putting people into your engagement program and then triggers to pull people into the right streams, or if this is multiple smart campaigns designed to drop people into the correct stream?

After that, one thing that's really important to keep in mind is that leads are pulled into another stream by their actions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dory, I have set this up as multiple smart campaigns designed to pull people into a certain stream. The confusing part for me is that sometimes the logic works and then after I clone the program and retest, that same logic doesn't work.

Guy_Goldstein6
Level 5

Hey Nick,

It might help you not to associate the decision with the 5 separate campaigns - but to have a single campaign with a choice that all of those triggered campaigns requests.

So your trigger would be:

Clicks link in email is <your email>

Flow: Request campaign is <Stream assignment>

and in the stream assignment you can set it up:

If clicked link in email contains baja

stream is baha

If clinked in email contains next option

stream is next option.

It also has the added benefit of allowing you to add additional conditions like:

If visited web page contains baja

stream is baja

if you know that your baha stream achieves the best results and people might have multiple interests

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guy,

Sorry for the delayed response, I set it up with 5 separate campaigns at the advice of my Marketo rep, I can't remember the exact reasoning but I believe it had to do with less of a chance for a mix up. But since that happens to be the case I'm open to trying everything.

So you're saying to set up one campaign with conditions for each action? Then I'd have to set a priority for each action correct? And will marketo read the first click or the highest priority click?

Thanks!

Guy_Goldstein6
Level 5

Hey Nick,

You're absolutely correct, 1 campaign and then you'd have a hierarchy saying which stream you'd prefer people to be in - which isn't a bad thing

If you need a bit of help let me know and we can jump on a skype session and I might be able to help out a little more

Guy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Guy,

That would be great- what would be the best way to reach you to set up a skype session, I'm new to marketo and can use all the help I can get!

Thanks!

Nick