GDPR - Island Territories of EU Countries

Parfitt_David
Level 3

GDPR - Island Territories of EU Countries

Our GDPR process manages the people who are residents of the countries of the EU but my concern is we are not covering the territories/islands/lands which belong to said EU countries.

• Should Islands/Territories/Lands of these EU countries follow the same GDPR process as the mother country?
  • Is there a definitive list of EU countries and all of the territories? I am not a geography guru and I can't seem to find this list out there. Hoping someone has it compiled!

Thank you for your help

Dave

8 REPLIES 8
Eric_Stone1
Level 3

Re: GDPR - Island Territories of EU Countries

Territories are traditionally under the jurisdiction of the mother nation and thus GDPR would apply to all territories. In cases where there might be some gray area, I'd always err on the side of GDPR - I've found it best to apply the stricter rules to everyone rather than use more slack rules in some cases. Will also help when most nations inevitably adopt some form of GDPR legislation.

Parfitt_David
Level 3

Eric- Thank you kindly for the incredibly quick response I agree with you, and will err on the side of caution. Out of curiosity, do you know of a master list of EU countries with territories listed? I guess I can go through the EU list and look up each country for their territories, but I'm wondering if someone already did that work.

Have a great day,

Dave

Eric_Stone1
Level 3

No problem at all.

This list could prove helpful, especially considering the first column. Not a copy and paste job, but I believe the data is there.

Special member state territories and the European Union - Wikipedia

Ed_King
Level 2

David,

www.marketingopendata.org has a country list that has EU designation and also mapping of the territories to the parent countries, in addition to other useful stuff like top level domains, country dialing code and such. It's free to download and use.

Once you get to the Google Drive folder, look for the file called "Countries"

Ed King

Eric_Stone1
Level 3

As a heads up, we get a 404 when navigating to site with the www prefix.

https://marketingopendata.org works though!

Elliott_Lowe1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

For those that want to use the full country names for the EU territories in your picklist, the following are the ISO names that Marketo uses for Inferred Country and their corresponding Alpha-2 codes. Normalizing Country values to those Marketo uses for Inferred Country lets you use one list of Country field values for both fields. Most of these are based on the Inferred Country field values that I've seen in Marketo, so you may want to double check (e.g. Guiana (French) vs French Guiana). Unfortunately, I haven't seen a published list of the Inferred Country field values that Marketo sets. .

ADAndorra
AIAnguilla
AWAruba
AXÅland
BLSaint Barthélemy
BMBermuda
CWCuraçao
FKFalkland Islands
GFGuiana (French)
GGGuernsey
GIGibraltar
GLGreenland
GPGuadeloupe
GSSouth Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
IODiego Garcia
JEJersey
KYCayman Islands
LILiechtenstein
MCMonaco
MEMontenegro
MFSaint-Martin (French)
MQMartinique
MSMontserrat
NCNew Caledonia
PFFrench Polynesia
PMSt Pierre & Miquelon
PNPitcairn
RERéunion
SHSaint Helena
SMSan Marino
SXSint Maarten
TCTurks & Caicos
TFFrench Southern Terr.
VAVatican City
VGBritish Virgin Islands
WFWallis and Futuna
YTMayotte
Rachit_Puri2
Level 7

Thanks for sharing this.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Like the other folks, I agree that including the territories et al. in your list is advisable.

The best format for such a list depends on how you're implementing your visibility rules/popups/dependencies/etc.

We use this master JavaScript object whenever doing advanced compliance stuff. It holds separate arrays for each of the GDPR subtypes, so we can tell the source apart at a glance while still considering the list as a whole to be "GDPR":

var privacyLists = {

iso2AlphaByReg: {

GDPR: {

core: ["AT", "BE", "BG", "HR", "CY", "CZ", "DK", "EE", "FI", "FR", "DE", "GR", "HU", "IE", "IT", "LV", "LT", "LU", "MT", "NL", "PL", "PT", "RO", "SK", "SI", "ES", "SE", "GB"],

omr: ["GF", "GP", "MQ", "ME", "YT", "RE", "MF"],

special: ["GI", "AX"],

oct: ["PM", "GL", "BL", "SX", "AW", "CW", "WF", "PF", "NC", "TF", "AI", "BM", "IO", "VG", "KY", "FK", "MS", "PN", "SH", "GS", "TC"],

micro: ["AD", "LI", "MC", "SM", "VA"],

misc: ["JE", "GG"]

}

}

};

Of course you may not need any code at all. If you're using Forms 2.0 Visibility Rules, for example, here's that same list in regex format (used by Visibility Rules [contains] rules):

AT|BE|BG|HR|CY|CZ|DK|EE|FI|FR|DE|GR|HU|IE|IT|LV|LT|LU|MT|NL|PL|PT|RO|SK|SI|ES|SE|GB

GF|GP|MQ|ME|YT|RE|MF

GI|AX

PM|GL|BL|SX|AW|CW|WF|PF|NC|TF|AI|BM|IO|VG|KY|FK|MS|PN|SH|GS|TC

AD|LI|MC|SM|VA

JE|GG

pastedImage_3.png

Here's an example form with that exact config:

CodePen - MktoForms2 :: Basic GDPR-Sensitive Country