SOLVED

Re: Full Marketo SFDC Sync

Go to solution
Cody_Haener
Level 3

Full Marketo SFDC Sync

We are currently syncing leads to SFDC when they become MQL, but I'm thinking about setting up a full sync between the two systems to help keep data clean and to fully take advantage of campaigns in SFDC. I'm not sure how to handle the lead assignment pre-MQL though. I'm curious how others are doing this. When a lead first enters Marketo and is sync'd to SFDC, who are you assigning that lead to?

I've thought about assigning them to a default "Marketing" user, and then re-assigning them to a sales rep when they become MQL. I've also thought about adding them to a lead queue in SFDC, then assigning to a sales rep once they become MQL. How are you guys handling this? Is there another/better approach that I should consider?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Cody Haener ,

Unlike Gerard,

Unlike Gerard, I prefer to assign all leads to specifci queues:

• Marketing lead queue (for cold and nurtured)
  • Not A Lead Queue (for journalists, competitors, applicants to job posts, ...)
  • Discardable Lead Queue (For bad data, out of scope, ) that will be deleted when the reporting period is over.

The reason why I find queues preferable is that you can easily grand access to real users to queues (Just make them queue members) and remove them as needed. You can also use queue membership to create views in SFDC and to manage read access to these leads if necessary. In multi-BU or multi-country organizations, you also can multiply these queues (one of each for each BU or country) and have each country manage their own lists of leads.

Also, please remember that SFDC Lead assignment rules only fire on lead creation. Vote here: and read the comments, for some workarounds.

-Greg

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

Hi Cody Haener​,

Let the Marketo Sync User own them. Once they reach MQL stage I would sync them to SalesForce using SFDC lead assignment rules and then they can be dropped in the required Lead Queue where your Sales team can qualify and assign them as required.

Thats my approach anyway.

Thanks,

Gerard

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Cody Haener ,

Unlike Gerard,

Unlike Gerard, I prefer to assign all leads to specifci queues:

• Marketing lead queue (for cold and nurtured)
  • Not A Lead Queue (for journalists, competitors, applicants to job posts, ...)
  • Discardable Lead Queue (For bad data, out of scope, ) that will be deleted when the reporting period is over.

The reason why I find queues preferable is that you can easily grand access to real users to queues (Just make them queue members) and remove them as needed. You can also use queue membership to create views in SFDC and to manage read access to these leads if necessary. In multi-BU or multi-country organizations, you also can multiply these queues (one of each for each BU or country) and have each country manage their own lists of leads.

Also, please remember that SFDC Lead assignment rules only fire on lead creation. Vote here: and read the comments, for some workarounds.

-Greg

Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

Hi Grégoire Michel​,

This might sound like a stupid question. 

I was trying to target people that were in different queues last year from Marketo.  I can't remember the full details but I couldn't target them in Marketo because if a person is owned by a queue then their Lead Owner details are empty.  I was able to target them all by using Lead Owner is empty but not people in specific queues.  This is one of the reasons I have been hesitant to use queues until they are MQLing and being assigned a real lead owner a short time later.  Is there an easy way around this? or a way to target people while in a certain queue? Its probably not something I might need to do again, but its been stopping me using them fully. Maybe its a question by itself.

Thanks,

Gerard

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Gerard,

This is not a stupid question

We in fact setup a few formula fields in SFDC and have them sync with Marketo:

• "Owner is queue", type boolean. =True when the owner is true
  • "Owner is User", type boolen. =True when the owner is a user
  • "Queue Name", type text = the name of the queue.

These fields are quite handy for filters and choices when you want to manage a little sophisticated assignment rules from Marketo.

And anyway, if the owner name and email are empty, this is when your tokens should use default values.

-Greg

Cody_Haener
Level 3

Thanks for the feedback Greg and Gerard.

Grégoire Michel​ - are you able to add leads to campaigns in SFDC while they're in a queue, before they have a specific record owner?

Thanks,

Cody

Darrell_Alfons2
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Cody,

Yes you can! I have the same setup as well, leads go into a holding queue in sfdc until they reach a certain score.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Yes, of course. The fact that leads belong to queues do not change anything.

-Greg

Cody_Haener
Level 3

Perfect! Thanks everyone!

Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

Hi Grégoire Michel​,

Thanks for explaining your method, this is great and exactly what I'm going to implement going forward. 

Thanks,

Gerard