Forward to a Friend - Unsubscribed status change

Anonymous
Not applicable

Forward to a Friend - Unsubscribed status change

When utilizing the Forward to a Friend token, if the email is forwarded to someone else that is already in your database, and that receiver of the Forward to a Friend email is currently opted-in to receive your company emails, will they be automatically changed to "unsubscribed" ??

As the product doc states, it automatically sets new leads of the database to unsub. so I want to make sure that it doesn't change the status of existing records, if that scenario happens to come about.

7 REPLIES 7
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Forward to a Friend - Unsubscribed status change

test it!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did, but when I checked the lead record after I had forwarded to a specific lead, one that I knew was supposed to be "opted-in", it showed as "not opted-in." However, there was no record in the Activity Log that the status was changed through this process.

That's why I wanted to double check here.

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Noah, your use of "not opted-in" makes me think that you aren't looking at system fields for this. The only field that Marketo would change the value of is called "Unsubscribed". If that isn't changing, there might be something else going on in your data management campaigns that is changing, or not changing a value.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Noah,

There is absolutely no reason why Marketo would change the value of the unsub field on a known lead.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone!

How about if the email is forwarded to a friend that is already in our database, already opted-out or already unsubscribed. Will they not be sent the email? Or will it override and go through to the unsubscribed record anyways??

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Noah,

it will depend on whether or not you set the email as operational. If you set it as operational, it will be sent even to an opt-out/unsubscribed person. Otherwise, not.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great, thank you! It is not an operational send, so glad to know it will follow any standing email preferences.