SOLVED

Re: Forms in Other Languages

Go to solution
Joseph_Moran2
Level 2

Forms in Other Languages

We are in the process of launching a new website. As we were reviewing our old forms, we began looking into how we would handle translations. Having 7 versions of the same form (Contact Us English, Contact Us French, Contact Us German, etc.) sounds aweful to us. I am curious, how have others handled translations of forms in Marketo?

Sanford Whiteman shared this wonderful method for handling translations, https://blog.teknkl.com/smoothing-embedded-marketo-form-loads/. Has anyone tried this approach? Any challenges we should anticipate?

Champion Program

Joseph Moran
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It’s PlaceholderText, not Placeholder.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Please move this to Products​. Champion Program​ is for questions about the program itself.

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman

Has anyone tried this approach?

I have.

Good when paired with https://blog.teknkl.com/safely-embedding-json-in-a-rich-text-as-opposed-to-plain-text-my-token/

Joseph_Moran2
Level 2

Thanks for your reply Sanford! In reading through the link, that is for Marketo LPs, but not embedded forms on the main site, correct?

Joseph Moran
SanfordWhiteman

Either one!

Joseph_Moran2
Level 2

Do you store the translations in the token then or within a language dictionary on the site?

Joseph Moran
SanfordWhiteman

If I don't have any (non-Marketo) place to host cross-domain JSON then I'd put everything in a token, yes.

Joseph_Moran2
Level 2

Can you elaborate on what cross-domain JSON would be? I am guessing you would use this for translating all forms then, correct?

Joseph Moran
SanfordWhiteman

Can you elaborate on what cross-domain JSON would be? I am guessing you would use this for translating all forms then, correct?

I was alluding to the fact that in order to store your language dictionaries as standalone .json file(s) those files would have to be hosted...

• in Marketo as a Design Studio asset, only for forms on Marketo LPs; or
  • on a 3rd-party site, only for forms embedded on that site; or
  • on a webserver that allows cross-domain fetches -- that is to say, not on a webserver that was left at typical defaults -- for either of the above cases

I admit my phrasing up there was pretty weird.

Todd_Sprinkel
Level 2

Where does this translate function get placed? I'm also confused because you've defined a translateMktoDescriptor function in the sample code, but then there's also a translateMktoForm function that doesn't seem to be defined. I'm also curious how to handle translating select list option labels. I'm guessing you'd need an additional conditional loop within the translate function, but I'm not sure where I'd put that in the JSON file.

Additionally, how do you determine which language to translate everything into?

Is there a working example of this approach out there in the wild?