Re: Form in Landing Page not linking back to Lead

Anonymous
Not applicable

Form in Landing Page not linking back to Lead

Hi all,

This may be a simple fix and I was wondering if someone could help me or lead me in the correct direction to fix this problem.

I have created a preference centre for those who wish to opt into a newsletter.

I have basically followed this guide : Build an Email Preference or Email Subscription Center in Marketo in 10 Steps

Everything seems to be good so far, the problem I am having however is getting the form to link back to the lead when sent through an email.

-I have created a form that is in a landing page.

-I have put that link into the footer and it does not link back to the lead. (Also tried to use tokens instead)

-I have attached a 'hidden' email in the form.

I can see that the email is sent and clicked on but when clicking on the 'Unsubscribe' link and visiting the preference centre, it stops linking back to the lead and instead to just 'Email'

I have attached a screenshot below:

Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 5.31.37 PM.png

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great

Thanks for your time!

Andrew

11 REPLIES 11
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

"Does not link back to Lead" is unclear.

Do you mean "When I send someone the link via a Marketo email, the form does not Pre-Fill form fields with values from the recipient's Marketo record?"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sanford,

My apologies for the unclear description!

I will try be more descriptive in future posts.

But yes, that is exactly my current issue, you have described it perfectly.

Cheers,

Andrew

SanfordWhiteman

There are 2 keys to having your preference center load values from a click in a Marketo email:

1. The page must be a Marketo LP.
  2. The URL must contain the mkt_tok query parameter. This is the default behavior if the link is simply included in an email. However, some advanced techniques ({{my.tokens}}, Velocity scripting, redirects) can turn off tracking and require special handling to reenable it. When the lead reaches your page, does the URL (in the browser's location bar) contain mkt_tok?
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can confirm that it is a Marketo LP.

When the lead reaches the landing page after clicking on the link in the email, I can see it contains mkt_tok.

I have a lead token to display an email address on the landing page also, however this seems to show just the word 'Email' and not the related recipients email address.

SanfordWhiteman

Are you using a real email (not sample)?

And testing in an Incognito window? (You should, to reflect the experience of an originally anonymous web session.)

SanfordWhiteman

And do take Pavel's comment to heart, even if it doesn't apply here. When people say "a form on a Marketo LP" they actually mean a named mktoForm element (on Guided templates) or Form (on Free-form). If you happen to use the embed code on a Marketo-hosted LP it's treated the same as on a 3rd-party site (which is why you should really, um, not do this).

However a {{lead.token}} in page content (outside the form) will still be rendered.

Pavel_Plachky
Level 5

Hi Andrew, are you using a form object on the landing page (the standard way to place forms on Marketo page) or are you using a JavaScript embed code? The second option would not give you prefill. Can you provide a link to the page?

Pavel

SanfordWhiteman

Good point, but the {{lead.Email Address}} would still work.

Luissanchez2901
Level 1

Hi Sandford

I've created this Marketo landing page and It includes a marketo form and I've included in the email the mkto token.

When I submitted the form the information doesn't go back to lead.

The LP render again and lost the mkto token.

Thank you

LS