SOLVED

Re: Form fillout activity

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Form fillout activity

Is there a way to expose the date of activity for form fillouts?

We created a custom field to capture via token the date when a person fills out a form. We've found, however, that our own customers have been filling out lead forms erroneously which has polluted the data.

The ultimate question we want to answer is: how many leads did we get through form fill outs in e.g. January of 2015? If there were 300 such form completion, but from February 2015 to January 2016, 200 of those people again filled out the forms, then the custom field we have for capturing dates of form fill outs would get overridden and say we only had 100 leads in January. The historical data is lost.

With the date of activity field we could capture the *first* instance of when they filled out a form, rather than the last.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Loic,

you can create a smart list with a "fill out form" filter and set some date range (click the "add constraint" link and add the "date of activity" constraint.

Now if you do no want this to reproduce, you just have to go to admin -> field management, select the date custom field, then "field actions" -> "block field update" and block the update for form fillouts, flow change data value and lead detail update (and other sources, as you wish).

This will prevent anyone from tempering with the value in the field if there is one, but will not prevent the field to be entered a value if it is empty. Therefore, it will guarantee that you keep the first value in the field.

-Greg

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Loic,

you can create a smart list with a "fill out form" filter and set some date range (click the "add constraint" link and add the "date of activity" constraint.

Now if you do no want this to reproduce, you just have to go to admin -> field management, select the date custom field, then "field actions" -> "block field update" and block the update for form fillouts, flow change data value and lead detail update (and other sources, as you wish).

This will prevent anyone from tempering with the value in the field if there is one, but will not prevent the field to be entered a value if it is empty. Therefore, it will guarantee that you keep the first value in the field.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've marked your answer as helpful, but it help for getting the exact date of the activity. I would have to do a date range for every single day for e.g. 2016 to reveal the specific date (not just the month) that a person filled out a form.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Loic,

With smart lists, yes.

Another technique is to create a compound formula field with the following formula: email + " - "+filled out form date, or last name + " " + company name + " - "+filled out form date (filled out form date being your custom field)

Then you create a lead performance report, you set a smart list to filter only the lead that have filled out the form and you group by the formula field. The report will give you a line for each lead.

The last, and most powerful feature, would be to use RCE, if you have it.

-Greg

Erin_Cavanaugh
Level 3

I have the same question as Loic. Our business team is requesting to know the exact dates that someone filled out a particular form on a particular page. The Smart List method doesn't seem like the right way to go because you'd have to keep changing your date range for each day. I saw your response below:

Another technique is to create a compound formula field with the following formula: email + " - "+filled out form date, or last name + " " + company name + " - "+filled out form date (filled out form date being your custom field)

Then you create a lead performance report, you set a smart list to filter only the lead that have filled out the form and you group by the formula field. The report will give you a line for each lead.

I'm not too sure what a compound formula field is or how to build it.

Loic: Where did you end up with this?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Erin,

Admin->field management, the add field, type = formula.

Then: Create and Use a Concatenated String (Formula) Field - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

-Greg

Erin_Cavanaugh
Level 3

Thanks for getting back to me Greg. I'm still confused.

I created a Custom Date field:

Custom Date field.png

And I created a Form Date field:

Form Date rules.png

I'm sort of staring at the Compute Formula Value screen blankly. I'm not really sure what to put in here as my formula.

I'm afraid the below doesn't mean much to me.

email + " - "+filled out form date, or last name + " " + company name + " - "+filled out form date

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Erin,

You will need to get the tokens for each of these. Typically email -> {{lead.email address}}, custom date -> {{lead.custom date}}

then the formula value will be {{lead.email address}} - {{lead.custom date}}. No need to insert a choice.

Why have you blocked the updates of your custom date field? You will not be able to add the date to it.

-Greg

Erin_Cavanaugh
Level 3

OK, I added my tokens in and created a Lead Performance Report, but when I click on the Report tab I am getting an 'Error Running Report' message.

Form Date rules.pngCustom Date field.pngLead Performance Report setup.PNG

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Erin,

Start with displaying a couple of leads in Marketo UI and look at the "form date" field. Is it displaying correctly? You can also add it to your Marketo view.

If it is displaying correctly in the lead page, then, the problem is in the report.

-Greg