Form Fill Outs

Karen_Black
Level 5

Form Fill Outs

Is there a way within Marketo to get a report of those people who do not complete the form fill out, and where they left off at within the form?  Or is this something we need a third party for?

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Pickles
Level 7

Re: Form Fill Outs

Hi Karen,

You can create a Smart List report to identify who in your database visited a page but did not submit the form, but you won't be able to identify who partially updated the form. For this to work you might be able to create something like a save progress button. I believe the response from Sanford on the question below might help with that.

https://nation.marketo.com/thread/51778-how-do-i-add-a-second-save-progress-button-on-a-form 

Alternatively, a 3rd party form provider might help with more detailed reporting, but some additional work will be required to ensure the form is passing through any munchkin details upon submission when required. 

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

As Josh alludes to, you're combining 2 very different scenarios:

1. A lead with an existing associated Munchkin session begins to fill out a form and abandons before pressing any buttons
  2. A lead whose session is currently anonymous begins to fill out a form and abandons before pressing any buttons

Neither of these are automatically tracked by Marketo.

You can add JS to your page to send a Munchkin "pulse" to Marketo whenever values change (though Munchkin is not well-suited for this, because it always appends every pulse to the log).  But this will only work in scenario 1.

In scenario 2, by definition, you don't know who "those people" are. You can view their synthetic Munchkin activity (it would show up as a Visit Web Page for a URL like /formpulse/filledfield/LastName, for example, if you ran a Web Page Activity report with source=Anonymous). But Marketo isn't really the place to view activities while they're still anonymous. Because of the importance of anonymous sessions to such an exercise, I would send the "pulses" to your web analytics platform, not to Marketo.

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

You can add JS to your page to send a Munchkin "pulse" to Marketo whenever values change (though Munchkin is not well-suited for this, because it always appends every pulse to the log).  But this will only work in scenario 1.

You could add a flag in the form of a cookie so that when true/false don't send any more munchkin "pulses" and clear the cookie on page load/refresh

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

But it's not about when to stop, it's about (lack of) aggregation. 

Proper back end storage of this kind of data doesn't keep every data point in an append-only log. It aggregates data points into supersets, i.e. you don't keep "FirstName" and "FirstName +LastName" permanently, you keep the superset of all the fields filled/unfilled before abandonment.