Re: For an Online Advertising Channel, do you create one program for every ad campaign you are running?

Nate_Oosterhous
Level 7

For an Online Advertising Channel, do you create one program for every ad campaign you are running?

Question:

How do you create your Online Advertising channel programs?  Do you create one program for every ad campaign you are running?  This way you would be able to attribute MT credit for every campaign (program) success (filled out form-success)?

We are looking to do our reporting in RCA and RCE....

3 REPLIES 3
Jessica_Kao3
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: For an Online Advertising Channel, do you create one program for every ad campaign you are running?

HI Nate,

For Online Advertising, you would create a program for every bucket of campaigns that you want to see rolled up in RCE together for pipeline and revenue. 

You can certainly create a Marketo program for every campaign you do on Linkedin for example but depending on what that looks like, it may be too granular and you would end up with a list of programs and a few members in each.  You will also want to break them out by cost per campaign by month.

The goal in RCE is to understand what's making money.  I like to ask what the primary dimension of data is your CMO interested in from a business standpoint.  Is it industry, is it by product line, is it by company size? 

You can always get to some of the other data via smart lists and smart campaigns, but what do you want to see line by line in RCE with pipeline that a Marketo Program generated. 

For example if you wanted to understand how much pipeline the following programs generated by industry you would build

Linkedin Industry A

LinkedIn Industry B

LinkedIn Industry C

Say you are promoting two white papers, per industry.  Do you want to know that Industry A white paper A generated X dollars compared to Industry B white paper B?  Whatever you want to separate out on a differing line showing a measure, let's say pipeline generated, then you want to separate that out by a different program.

If you want a roll up, you will have to do that via tags (i.e. make a tag for all linkedin, or tag by industry) or collapse the overall channel (i.e. report just on online advertisement.  You'll soon realize that that amount of granularity may not be what you want.

Nate_Oosterhous
Level 7

Thanks for your reply Jessica!  This is really helpful.

It is definitely harder to manage having a program for every campaign although that would granularity I think would be more beneficial.  It would give us the metrics we would be looking for in RCE as far as MT credit and metrics go because each campaign is essentially a different touch.

I will have to brainstorm both ways and determine which will be best...

Tammy_Chan
Level 3

Digital Pi​ Hiii- I'm also looking to see how to best track online ads and came across this thread. When you said "create a program for every bucket of campaigns.." does you mean you'd have a folder with online ads w Linkedin program ads and another program for Twitter etc. - Currently we track everything w UTMs so we may have some CTAs there are just driving people to our site an some that take them to a event landing page w form fill out...

If I'm understanding correctly, sounds like if we ran a LinkedIn ad- one w/ event form the other to just drive traffic to a landing page w no CTA- in Marketo I'd have a Program for "LinkedIn" ads - where I'd then have have multiple smart campaigns w/ the smart lists listening for those who filled out flow vs visited web page referrer - w/ the flow action of "influenced" vs "filled-out form" correct? Do you have any other recommendations for other program status' when it comes to online advertisements?

Thanks!!