Folder hierarchy with different countries (newsletters)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Folder hierarchy with different countries (newsletters)

Hello everyone,

I've spent a considerable amount of time setting up our naming scheme, but I'm stuck with how to insert a layer for different countries. We have different business units, but only our unit  (b2b exising customers = TSM) will be using Marketo. All languages will be managed by the same team and people. The structure is as follows:

a) Active campaigns > Email blasts > TSM PRO EB 2018-06 Upsell > Local assets

=> not sure this is clever naming, I've put the product in the PRO bit in the beginning of the program name - we have only 5 products with are more upselling features and not product lines? And we have this for all countries, which may vary.

b) Active campaigns > Newsletters > TSM NL 2018-06 KW13> Local assets

=> This is a newsletter campaign, which is done for all countries separately. The newsletter is basically one country first and then will be copied into other countries and then modified. Were would the country parameters come in? You don't have different programs for one newsletter program (for all countries, so different campaigns), do you?

Thanks in advance for the help!

6 REPLIES 6
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Folder hierarchy with different countries (newsletters)

Place a Country ISO Code in the Naming of Folders and Programs to help you.

I am unsure why you need to nest the folders. Are you using Workspaces or Languages in particular ways?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Josh,

thanks for the quick response! It just seemed simpler to have subfolders  - you reduce the number of programs if you use the same program for different countries. But if it's not... I'll probably name my program TSM [Countrycode] PRO EB 2018-06 Upsell  then...

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Further to Josh's questions, why aren't you using segments for location-based personalization of a single email?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

We were hoping to leverage single emails for our global email sends - once they announced "Recipient Time Zone" (Fall Release: Sending emails based on recipient timezone! ) - but since that capability does not support child programs in Engagement Programs and default programs for email send (only Email Programs), we're back to square one in creating country-specific engagement programs and other global email send programs (using default programs).

On the otherhand - if you're OK using the Email Program for your newsletter sends - then using a single email with dynamic content (as Sanford suggests) is the most scalable approach.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all! I think since we haven't really started in Marketo yet, this didn't cross my mind!

For EB then, you're absolutely right to use segments.

However... If I don't use folders I will then only need to include the country code in the asset naming I suppose as well as in the campaign names for ENG. It seems complicated though - isn't he campaign folder somewhat cluttered then?

DE - 01-Send Email
DE - 02-Opened
DE -  03-Clicked
DE - 04-Filled-out Form
DE - 05-Influenced (Program Success)
DE - 06-Unsubscribed

EN - 01-Send Email
EN - 02-Opened
EN - 03-Clicked
EN - 04-Filled-out Form
EN - 05-Influenced (Program Success)
EN - 06-Unsubscribed
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You don't need to use different Smart Campaigns to log engagement unless your Flow actions are deeply differentiated by country (like a lot of different scoring mechanisms).

Also (perhaps you already know this if coming from another MA platform) Opens are only logged when the mail client has images enabled, and Clicks are logged by mail scanners as well as humans. So neither should be taken as full truth, and in some cases skew far from the true engagement.